Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike198013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2011, 12:01 PM
    If my wife is married and having a baby by another man is it illegal?
    If my wife is still married to me without divorce and having another baby by another man is this legal in the state of virginia?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2011, 12:18 PM

Having a baby is not illegal anywhere in the US. Having a baby by anyone other than your husband is not illegal as well. However, except for artificial insemination or surrogacy, having a baby with someone other than your husband would be proof of adultery. Adultery is still illegal in VA, but the penalty is minor (generally a fine of a few hundred dollars).

So, the question is what is it you really want to do about it?
    What do you think it will get you if it is illegal?

VA is a no fault divorce state, so you can get a divorce after living separately for a time. You do not need to use adultery as grounds, though you can.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 1, 2011, 01:05 PM

In many states it is presumed that a baby born to a married woman is the child of her husband. You might want to look into getting a judicial decree that the child isn't yours. Or the father could, I believe, sign an affidavit of paternity so as to show him as the father on the birth certificate. Otherwise, if you and your wife separate or divorce, you might be required to pay child support.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 1, 2011, 04:12 PM

Legal yes but also grounds for Absolute divorce.

Adulterers are not equal under the blanket of the law. In Virginia, adultery may impact custody if the adultery is proven to have harmed or impaired the children. Adultery does not necessarily affect alimony awards in Virginia. It will, however, be a factor for consideration in awarding alimony.

Ref:

Virginia Divorce Law

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I tell a married man that has a fling with my wife ? [ 4 Answers ]

What should I tell a married man that has a fling with my wife? Edited/T

Is it illegal to be pregnant with someone else's baby while still legally married? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm still legally married but haven't been around.. seen.. etc. my soon to be ex-husband in over a year, I have a boyfriend presently and we are expecting. Can my soon to be ex-husband do anything legal wise about this? Will this effect my divorce?

Wife had baby by married man after one night stand [ 5 Answers ]

I found out that my wife had a one night stand on me after she was already four months pregnant. We were going to have an abortion but after the guy said that if the baby was his that either way he wanted nothing to do with the baby we decided to keep it. I also didn't know if the baby was mine and...

BEing with a married man and he his separted from his wife [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, everybody I just feeling a little depress about a situation I'm in. I meet this married man about 4yrs ago and we started kicking or what ever, he told me he was married and had a child, but him and his wife wasn't getting alone to good. So he stayed there at the him and his wife got for a...

View more questions Search