Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kph8720 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 05:26 PM
    New second floor plumbing
    Hi Experts,

I'm adding a new second floor addition to my home. Currently there is no main stack in the home as the existing toilet sits almost right on top of sewer drain. So for the second floor I'm adding a new vertical pipe from first floor up to the second floor. This pipe will not run continuous through the roof due to the floorplan. This pipe is located roughly in the center of the house, just because of how the first floor is laid out. And on the second floor there will be on full bath on the front of the house and one on the back of the house. They will both drain horizontaly toward the new drain pipe at the center of the house. Now comes my question. I've read a lot about not being allowed to have a toilet upstream of anything else. Unfortunately in my design the toilets are the furthest away and have to drain past everything else. Is this a huge problem? Do I just need to provide individual vents for each fixture that is downstream of the toilet? Also, since the toilet won't be draining directly into waste stack/vent, does it need it's own vent? How would I tie the toilet vent into the 3 inch line coming off the toilet.

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kph8720
    Hi Experts,

I'm adding a new second floor addition to my home. Currently there is no main stack in the home as the existing toilet sits almost right on top of sewer drain. So for the second floor I'm adding a new vertical pipe from first floor up to the second floor. This pipe will not run continuous through the roof due to the floorplan. This pipe is located roughly in the center of the house, just because of how the first floor is layed out. And on the second floor there will be on full bath on the front of the house and one on the back of the house. They will both drain horizontaly toward the new drain pipe at the center of the house. Now comes my question. I've read a lot about not being allowed to have a toilet upstream of anything else. Unfortunately in my design the toilets are the furthest away and have to drain past everything else. Is this a huge problem? Do I just need to provide individual vents for each fixture that is downstream of the toilet? Also, since the toilet won't be draining directly into waste stack/vent, does it need it's own vent? How would I tie the toilet vent into the 3 inch line coming off of the toilet.

Thanks

I think you'll be pleased with my answer. You will vent each lavatory through the roof or revent them back in the attic. The tub/shower drain will tie into the lavatory drain and be wet vented. The toilet is self vented and needs no individual vent so the one 2" lavatory vent will vent each bathroom group.
    Code states that no major fixture, (toilet) is to be discharged past a unvented minor one. Since the lavatory's vented and the shower's wet vented you're home free. Kudos for undertaking such a major remodel job.
    Good luck, Tom

May 17, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Thanks for the help Tom. One follow up question. In one of the bathrooms I will have a separate shower and then a tub. The shower will tie into the lavatory drain and then downstream the tub will also tie into the lavatory drain. The one 2" vent off the lavatory will still suffice, correct?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kph8720
    Thanks for the help Tom. One follow up question. In one of the bathrooms I will have a seperate shower and then a tub. The shower will tie into the lavatory drain and then downstream the tub will also tie into the lavatory drain. The one 2" vent off of the lavatory will still suffice, correct?

Thanks

Yes! If you tie both the tub and shower drains back to the lav drain the entire group will be vented. Cheers, Tom

May 17, 2005, 09:39 AM
    Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

Help kitchen faucet- water willnot come through spigot I replaced washers, when water was turned on would not flow through faucet what do I need to do now?

Basement Plumbing, No Rough IN, above floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All I would like to install a temporary basement bathroom, Commode and sink, I want to build it with plumbing above the concrete floor, I live in a ranch style house, What I have is 1st floor bathroom and I want to install the one in the basement right below it, attaching into the present...

Plumbing - 1st floor sink backs up in sink below [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1st floor kitchen sink directly above a basement sink. When the 1st floor sink is full, it drains quickly and backs up in the sink below - which then drains relatively quickly. No other problems here - the dishwasher drains fine, general use is fine - it's only when there's a full sink of...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

How do you put in a rubber/ spring in the hole under the cartridge faucet? Position of Rubber and spring?

View more questions Search