Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brightlooks1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 03:16 PM
    My house smells like sewer
    My house is one year old and it smells like sewer gas from time to time. All traps are full of water, no noise coming from drains and there is no smell outside. The temp outside is -4
    akfiretuck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Typically there are only a couple of ways for the sewer odor to get into your house. Most of the time it's through a dry trap. Did you make sure ALL of them are full? Double check that the trap for a washing machine is full - sometimes they are not used for a while. Double check floor drains in the basement or garage - they can dry out. And once I had a client with the same problem and, after much agony and looking I noticed two copper stubs sticking out of the garage wall - but no drain pipe stub. I told him to look 'right about there.' Sure enough, he found the sheetrockers had covered an open drain outlet the plumbers left inside the wall. It was able to vent into the wall and throughout the house.
    That solved the problem.
    The cold temperatures can cause a reverse-flow of the vents also. That happens in Alaska some times.
    raine1200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
    Mmy house smells like turnips must be sewer gas. I noticed t first at the furnace the wind is blowing very hard. Could the sewer vent be blowing into the furnace pipe?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1/2 bath smells like sewer [ 2 Answers ]

2 years ago we put in a new toilet in our half bath and everything was fine until 3 days ago. It started to smell like sewer in there. Please help, can't take the smell. :eek:

Sewer Smells and Odors in basement [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in home about 3.5 years and recently (summer) started noticing sewer smell outside near venting pipe. Shortly after, sewer odors started in basement laundry room. Had septic tank pumped and smell seemed to go away for several days, then returned. Recently plugged a washer wastepipe...

House smells like something is overheating [ 2 Answers ]

Every time our furnace turns on, it fills the house with an odor of something overheating. My husband checked the flame and says that it looks normal -- blue. He also changed the filter, which was very dirty. What could be causing this, and what remedies should we try?

House smells! [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a 3 level leased townhome. For the past five days it has smelled like methane gas (sulfide) sewer-gas. It's pretty strong- so much that we have to keep the windows open or we get headaches and my eyes get read and tear up. The sump pump (and washer dryer) is located in the basement....

One bathroom sink in house smells like a sewer [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2 story home, 1 year old, crawl space, no basement. Our main level 1/2 bath is the only bathroom in the house that smells like a sewer when the water in the sink is turned on. I can usually only smell it when the water is running, and it seems to be getting worse over time. We...

View more questions Search