Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BradyWagner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Dimmer won't dim
    I have a hampton bay switch that takes the place of the rocker switch controlling the fan speed and the light+dimmer. When I hook it up everything works but the dimmer it will not dim the light but if I take the switch and hook it up in the other room the same way it works in that room. Is there something wrong the wires in here or what everything that's suppose to be hott is hot Could somthin be wrong with the neautral? The switch that controls the receptacle works.. and the other 2 switch are for a fan and a light in the ceiling?? Please help I'm stumped!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2011, 05:35 PM

The feed to your switch is just hot, there is no neutral on a switch. Black comes into the box and attaches to switch, black comes out and goes to the fixture or receiver if there is one. Can you give us a model or something on the switch?

Apr 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Model UC-9050T make is harbor breeze
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 04:54 AM

What type of bulb does the fan have?

Apr 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Just the ones that came with it just standard screw type?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 06:29 AM

Brady,

Is this a new install of the switch or was it already installed and operating properly and is now failing?

If you are replacing a single pole snap switch can you please tell me what wires were present at the old switch location and what changes you made.

Pictures would really help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Hampton Bay track lights won't dim [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a Hampton Bay track and lights and installed them but the dimmer that was working on the previous track lights isn't working on the Hampton Bay setup. Any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated.

New dimmer switch will not dim light - taking power from 3 way switch [ 2 Answers ]

New dimmer switch will not dim light - I am trying to hook up a dimmer switch in a electrical box that already contains a three way switch. I am trying to take power from the three way switch to power the new dimmer and light. The way it is hooked up now the new light works but will not dim with...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Light Dimmer won't Work [ 6 Answers ]

After a fuse blew,dimmer on remote control won't work.Light is either on or off

Dim light [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to wire in a 2nd light of same switch, when wired either one or both are very dim? What an I doing wrong?

One room dimmer installation / dimmer works but no power in room [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a remot ctrl dimmer in one room & now all 2 of my power outlets seems not to work. The installation was one pole & I shut off the power to the upstairs area of my house by using the cirucit breaker. Once aligning all the wires & positioning the dimmer to replace the on & off switch...

View more questions Search