Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstravis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Heat pump loud humming noise outside
    3-1/2 ton Lennox HPXA15 heat pump making loud humming noise. Unit is cooling but has started making a louder than normal humming noise on the outside unit. Fan seems to be running slower than normal.
    KenSayers Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2011, 04:07 AM
    I have to ask, how large ids your house? I have a 2 ton Lennox for my 1600 sq foot house. I was just wondering if perhaps it was sized too large and it is "tired" of short cycling.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2011, 10:53 AM

Check the dual capacitor. If it has failed the cell serving the fan motor, it could be causing the motor to run slower than normal and be noisy. The motor itself could also be failing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Why is my heat pump noise making a loud noise? [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my heat pump sounded like a lawn mower running. It's coming from the outside and it was loud enough for me to think someone had generator running in my back yard.

Heat pump making loud noise [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Trane heat pump heating and cooling system. In winter when the tempreture is below 32F, the out side unit is making loud noise, very loud humming sound. That loud that bothers my neighbors. When I pure hot water on the out side unit and water gets into the fan and other parts the loud...

There has been a loud noise coming from our heat pump when the unit is shutting down? [ 0 Answers ]

When the unit shuts down it makes a very loud humming noise. It sounds like it is coming from outside and possibly the noise travels through the pipes. The noise last for about 30 seconds or so and then shuts off. We have not had any problems with it heating the house, but worried something is...

Humming noise on carrier heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Carrier H/A heat pump unit. When the air is set for 78 and it reaches 78 and shuts off, there is a humming noise on the unit outside. What is causing this noise? Is it okay? Is it normal? The only way we can stop it is to turn off the system.

View more questions Search