Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddy2 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 05:26 AM
    How to hook up DVD player to Direct TV box and to old TV with just one cable input?
    Well I've tried for hours to hook up a DVD player with only 1-set of Jack s RED Yell> White.. I have a Direct TV box and the TV is old but great pict. IT has only one hook up on Back and it's is for Cable in! Tried 20 sites on the web ,none of them work. They keep adding a VCR that I don't have! It will work if you add a VCR so you can run coaxal cables threw the VCR to DVD. My DVD has no place for TV in TV out! I need it set up like I explained! DVD player to direct TV BOX and to old TV with just one cable input. PS well maybe not in that order but what ever it takes to work TV and DVD of my DTV remote! Thanks buddy2 PS Direct TV has already programed my DTV BOX and DTV remote. Help!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 05:34 AM

You need a Modulator, It converts the red, white, and yellow to a channel(the cheaper ones output on channel 3 0r 4, and work fine), the more expensive ones can be programmed to any channel.
    Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-RF-MOD...item4cf6895be0

Apr 17, 2011, 05:52 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    I Have a Rf Modulator it is set on Chan> 3 When I get the DVD to work then you can not switch back to TV, Must un -hook the Y/W/R wires and the TV works. buddy2
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 06:07 AM

What inputs do you have on the Direct Receiver?

Apr 17, 2011, 07:14 AM
    The direct Tv box has two sets of y/w/r and of coarse Hdmi, but my DVD only has one st of Y/W/R, Buddy2
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 08:07 AM

Your Direct TV receiver has 2 AVI inputs and 1 HDMI INPUT?
    Please verify these are INPUTS. Have the DVD input to the Sat receiver and Modulate out of Direct receiver.
    If those aren't INPUTS, maybe you could have the DVD modulated and have the coax out of Modulator into the Antenna input on Sat receiver, then another Modulator to convert the AV from the Sat Rcvr to the Coax input on the TV?

Apr 17, 2011, 05:07 PM
    The Direct TV box Has 1- Video out, plus 2 video out and component out. Sorry for delay but internet was out here for a while buddy2.

Apr 17, 2011, 05:28 PM
    To Stratmandoo's; MY Direct TV box Has 1-Video out,2-Video out,plus 1- conponent out! I didn't know if I was to answer you in comments or answer BOX Plus my internet has be out most of day Thanks buddy2 Ps I had all a VCR, DVD, DTV box and an a Modulator set on channel 3 plus a slector box to run all the Y/W/R cables everything worked fine . I put all the above but the DVD on a new TV. So on the above set up I ran everything threw the VCR and just had to push 1- for TV 2 for DVR and 3 for VCR on the selecter box. I been trying to get the DVD to work on the old TV as you see with any Luck ,but have tried almost everything!
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 05:43 PM

I think a Modulator is the best way to get a DVD with no coax out player to hook to a an old TV with only Coax Input.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 06:05 AM
    I think 2 modulators will work, Out of DVD into modulator, then into Satellites Antenna Input, then out of Direct TV's Composite(red, white, and yellow)into 2nd Modulator, from second modulator coax out into TV, It should work. Good Luck.

Apr 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
    Stratmando's: I do owe you an apology a. The message I sent was a red to ask me help desk because I'm not receiving anything until I got your last message in which I am answering. Maybe I doing something wrong that I not getting anything on what we talked about. I'm new at this as you can tell. I changed the reds because I meant for them to be for ask me desk and I have'nt see that message either I sent to them. I have to take my grand-son to a baseball game, so lets try to get together tomorrow. I will tell you that you were right about the R Modulator, but mine did not have a place for a s-vedio cable. Thanks buddy2 PS Hope you get this?
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 05:25 PM

I edited my post at the bottom of Page 1, please read, it should work.
    Any problems or questions, come back.
    You don't need S-Video.
    If your modulator only has S-Video, you may need a different one, I can get them at the local Dollar Store for $5.
    You need 2 Modulators, both with Composite in, and coax out.
    Good Luck.

Apr 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
    To: Stratmando: I just got back from the ballgame and guess what I just received 3-emails from you that ask me desk just sent. It is now 11:30 pm here April 18th . The e-mails you sent were dated 4/17/11 8:43 1-at 8:35 4/18/11 and another at 9:05 4/18/11. Guess this is why I did'nt hear from anyone! Just wanted you to know and thanks ,will contact you tomorrow.buddy2. PS we won the game!
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 05:34 AM

The Emails are automatically sent whenever someone responds to a post you are responding to.
    Good deal with the Game.
    Good Luck with the GFI

Apr 19, 2011, 06:17 AM
    To Stratmando: I know that replies are suppose to come e-mail, but for some reason when I got home last night from ball game I had 32 e-mails and three of your answers were in them,some were 3-days old, not yours but others! Have been working on that old TV for Grand-kids I will let you know in another answer, but first I did have to get a new RF- Modulator ,I think my son has went to get one! Around here it's a 20 mile trip to any store but one said they had 1- in stock! Will let you know how things work out when he gets back! Thanks buddy2

Apr 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Startmando's: My son got back with the new RF Modulator,but no one had another one. They gave him a AV/ Selecter to go with the Rf Mod. The av selecter had instructions on how to hook everything up Plus also hooking up the RF MOD.into the system and it all works. The grand-kids or who ever can just push av-1 botton on the av/selecter for DTV , Then av2 botton will give them DVD and then all controls work off the DTV remote! Thanks for all your help! If you want I can sent you how this system hooks up, or you may already know? It only took about 5-min. for him to have it going with the above. Again thanks! buddy2
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 11:58 AM

No. don't need it, you have to push buttons, the other way should be fully automatic.
    Too bad the Sat Receiver doesn't have a coax output, then you would only need 1 modulator and no selector switch.
    Good you got it going.

Apr 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Stratmando: Your way would have been better, but around here as you now know most things have to be ordered. My Son tried all the places in the eastern end of Greenbrier co. and that was all he could come up with. Some of the Grand-kids are already here from school,I labeled the buttons and they are watching it now! Thanks again, Next time I'll just wait and order what I need so it will work automatic switch over! buddy2
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 01:29 PM

Your Good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to hook up dvd player to direct TV box [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run my Wii and dvd player through my direct TV box, and how do I do it?

I have 1 hdmi input on my TV. I use this with my cable box. I just got a blue ray dvd [ 2 Answers ]

I have 1 hdmi input on my TV. I use this with my cable box. I just got a blue ray dvd player and want to use a hdmi cable with this also but there is no other impu on the TV. Any suggestions?

Cable box hook up to dvd recorder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a Cablevision HD Cable box and a Sony DVD recorder and a Sony HD TV. I am using a HDMI cable but when I went to record a program to the dvd recorder the only thing that recordered was a message that said I need a dvi connector cable / adapter. I thought if you use a HDMI cable that...

How to hook up dvd/vcr combo to a HD cable box [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me how to hook up my philips dvd/vcr combo to my time warner high Definition cable box. So I can record with the VCR..

View more questions Search