Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blue Angel Posts: 266, Reputation: 51

Jun 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
    The mother's name in The Neverending Story?
    Does anyone know what the name of Bastian's mother is that he yells out at the end of the movie. This has always bugged me because I could never understand what he said. I was watching the movie last night and I still can't make out the name he calls.

Thanks!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I think that the name he calls out is "Mother", actually.

At least, that's what I've always heard.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 22, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Moonchild

The Neverending Story Script Page 6 of 6
    Blue Angel Posts: 266, Reputation: 51

Jun 22, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB
    Hey thanks, that's been bugging me forever. It's a little disappointing though, I guess I was expecting something amazing. Oh well, thanks again.
    missa8324 Posts: 130, Reputation: 21

Jun 22, 2007, 09:11 AM
    It's actually not his mother's name but just a name he came up with. They never tell you what his mother's name was in either of the movies.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Well, I'm glad it's not just "Mother" though.

Glad someone cleared that up for me as well!
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 22, 2007, 10:49 AM
    If you go to neverendingstory.com it says that the name he calls out is Moon Child
    jmandpr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
    Sorry, Ive watched this movie more times than I care to count and/or admit. In my opinion and my mind, it will always be Mariah! Ma-ri-ahhh!
    hiyathere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 09:29 AM
    Its "MOONCHILD", just look up The Neverending story script and it will give you the whole screenplay.
    DANDANDANDANDAN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 02:50 PM
    I just watched this movie a few minutes ago and was wondering the same thing... so I went to the script of the movie and his line was definitely "Moonchild". Which kind of confuses me cause he was supposed to change the Empress' name... not yell the same one, but it still is a classic
    Nightvision Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
    Actually, "Moonchild," whether he made it up or not, is a beautiful resolution to his psychological dilemma. He is a young boy who has lost his mother, and the movie is really a Jungian journey through grief and loss. (All the archetypes and symbols in the movie are really representations of different parts of his internal world and his self.) His dilemma: How to obey his father's wisdom by "keeping both feet on the ground" while also holding onto his childhood image of Mommy. His solution is to memorialize her in Fantasia - to make her live forever in his imagination by internalizing her and integrating her with his inner child, represented by the Childlike Empress. "Moon" = the great female, "child" = Sebastian. The child carries the name of the mother, and the grief process is resolved.

I have loved this movie since I was a child, and now use it to teach Jungian thought in a psych program.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neverending Bad Breath [ 5 Answers ]

I Have Been Suffering With This Problem For Years Now. It Seems As Though I Am Actually Breathing Bad Breath Through My Nose! I Can Enter A Room And Within Minutes Someone Will Say Somebody Has Bad Breath Of Course That's Me. No Sinus Problems No Metabolic Abnormalities Except Pylori Does This...

Mother's Day [ 5 Answers ]

Any suggestions on what to get my mother for mother's day? She already has mother's rings, grandmother rings, charms for the grandkids. She is just so picky I don't know what to get her. SHe is 47,if that helps. Thanks

Why god made Mother's [ 2 Answers ]

WHY GOD MADE Mother's Answers given by 2nd grade school children to the following questions: Why did God make mothers? 1. She's the only one who knows where the scotch tape is. 2. Mostly to clean the house. 3. To help us out of there when we were getting born. How did God make...

Mother's Estate with Uncle [ 1 Answers ]

My mother owned a home in FL and listed my uncle as a tenant in common. She passed away last year w/o a will. So basically my uncle is listed as the first owner and the estate is the second owner. My uncle is willing to let me buy out his share of the home for the amount he put into it. I am...

Mother's Estate [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother passed away this past April leaving me a small amount of money in her will and leaving everything else to her 7 year old grandson. How long does it take for probate and my sister is threatening that I won't receive a dime. What should I do?

View more questions Search