Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klhagen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Thermostat settings and heat
    It seems like my heat pump blows nothing but cool air out of the vents. It is below 10 degrees out right now. I have an them. Het setting on the thermostat but when I switch to that setting the air from the vents feels cool or just not very warm. It also seems as if my furnace never shuts off. Does it sound as if there is a problem. We try to keep the setting at 68 but it is only keeping the house around 64 to 65 degrees.

klhagen
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
    You should always have on the emergency heat when the outdoor temp is below 30 degrees. A heat pump is not efficient below that temp.

Is your emergency heat electric or is it a gas furnace. Both should keep your house warm when on. But with an electric furnace it could be that you have a heating element burned into and only getting heat from one element. Repairing this problem is not the job for someone not experienced in working with electricity or working on electric furnaces.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
    If you have electrical resistance heat as back up or emergency, there are several things that could be wrong. The first is to check the breaker. Usually the emergency heat is on its own breaker. Are the heating elements where you can see them when you open the air handler to change the filters? If so, open the access panel and see it they are hot. If not, you need some tools to do much else.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

If you have power from the breaker box, but not heat, the likely problems are a stuck relay, or bad heating elements. Use the voltage detector or volt meter to see it you are getting power to the heating elements and if they are continuos. A bad heating element is easy to identify and replace. On ohms, it will show out of limit. Just remove it, take it to a HVAC or electrical supply, and let them match it.

Relays are a pain. Modern systems have them on a board with inaccessible terminals and if it is bad, it means an arm and a leg for a whole new board.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
    I agree with letmetellu a heat pump will not keep up when it is that cold out side. I would call a tech. you may just have a bad sequencer. Be careful a heat strip has a 115 volts on it at all times it takes 230volts to make it work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House is cold even heat is on to 70 (thermostat) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house and about 20 years old. I recently bought this house. I do not know so much about to maintain properly. I have a delime that, when I put the thermostat to 70, the downstairs always get cold but the upstairs get hot. As long as the hot air comes from room vent, it feels...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Moving a heat-only thermostat [ 7 Answers ]

I'm trying to help a neighbor set up her forced air furnace to run the fan manually to circulate air. The old thermostat has a fan switch, but it doesn't do anything. There are only two wires (red and white) to the thermostat, so I assumed the lack of a third (green) wire, which mine has, is the...

Wiring from transformer to heat only thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a honeywell hot water heat system(condo) with a control valve for the water, a transformer to supply power to the valve and a thermostat. The power supply was disconnected and I now need to reconnect a new transformer into the system. I have tried to use a 40VA transformer but I am concerned...

Heat Will No Longer Respond To Thermostat! [ 5 Answers ]

Well, we moved into this mobile home about 3 weeks ago. We have our a/c and oil heat connected to one thermostat. It was all working fine up until a few days ago. All of a sudden, the heat would not shut off at all. Eventually it got up to 90 degrees in here and I just opened the door to the...

View more questions Search