Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwatson364 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Parole officer harassment
    Is a parole officer allowed to tell the parolee's boss/manager or landlord their criminal history if it is not specifically listed as conditions of parole? I am looking at my brother's conditions of parole, and it does not state that his parole officer has the right to get my brother fired or evicted from his employment or residence, but that is exactly what has happened... do I have a right to file a complaint against this officer? I live in California, and whom would I write the complaint to?? Any help is greatly appreciated, as my brother is now homeless as a result of this parole officer harassing his boss which got him fired, and his landlord which got him evicted... and he can't live with me because apparently my house is 18 feet too close to a school and violates his megans law status, but I don't trust his agent and I want to get it remeasured, but I guess that's another question...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 12:11 PM

Without knowing more specifically what happened it is impossible to say.

Is your brother a sex offender and either worked or lived too close to a school?

Apr 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
    He is a registered sex offender, but both his job and residence were not too close to the school... with his residence, he was allowed to live their with his wife for over six months with his officers blessing... with his job, his officers partner ok'd him to apply for it when the officer was on vacation, but when he returned he used 'scare-tactics' on the manager/boss and got him fired as a result... my brother was actually going to get a promotion at his job... he was a dishwasher...

Apr 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    He is a sex offender, but his parole officer allowed him to stay at residence with wife over 6 months... also, as mentioned, its not in his parole conditions that his agent talk to boss/landlord... neither job/home are too close to schools/etc...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 12:29 PM

Okay, thanks SO much for the additional info. People sometimes get an attitude and all we are looking for is additional helpful info.

What was the "stated purpose" - and I realize that might not be the true intent - of speaking to anyone? If I understand you correctly he lived and worked with consent and suddenly... PO back and no consent?

My concern is that a complaint will only make things worse for him.

But I will say that this is the stuff that Civil Rights Attorneys jump on!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2011, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    My concern is that a complaint will only make things worse for him.

But I will say that this is the stuff that Civil Rights Attorneys jump on!
    Hello j:

My friend, Jude, is RIGHT ON... You either complain to the MAX, including a lawsuit, or do NOTHING. Anything in the middle will only screw your brother worse...

SOME PO's think it's their job to help their charges... Unfortunately, some think it's their job to punish them further... I can tell which one you got.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Parole officer & Probation officer [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between Parole officer & Probation officer? If anybody know about this, please let me know.

Is it a parole violation to move without telling your parole officer? [ 9 Answers ]

Please help! My husband and I have been separated for 4 yrs. He was in prison (assault and drug charges) for the last 2 years, and recently was released on parole. He claims to be living in Anderson county,TX and has all his home visits there. Thing is, he's living here in Smith County,TX with one...

Code enforcement officer harassment? [ 3 Answers ]

The code enforcement officer in my town asks us to submit to standards above everyone else simply because we are well off. Our neighbor is constantly complaining to them about us (as they wanted to purchase this property but could not afford it)& we don't have any recourse... There is no home on...

Parole Officer Compliant [ 1 Answers ]

Who do you file a complaint with concerning a Parole Officer in Bmt TX. My boyfriend has been asking for his PO deputy officer and no one can assist him. The P.O pops up to the house with informing anyone, she knows he is on house arrest and can not leave certain times of the day yet she asks for...

Petitioning to a Parole Officer [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to send a letter to my brother's parole officer asking for them to help my brother get help (rehabilitation). The system is broken, as he's been in and out of the system for almost 20 years now. He'll get out, can't find work due to his felon and he's released back into the same type...

View more questions Search