Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollie_nash Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Dying light blonde hair to dark, chocolate brown! After effects?
    My hair is naturally dirty blonde, but I have a really light blonde colour in it now. I want to dye it a dark brown colour. I went to the salon today and the stylist advised against dying it brown because of the process I'll have to go through to get it back blonde if I ever want to do that. Also, she mentioned that it will be high maintenance since I'm a natural blonde.
    Anyone else go from blonde to dark brown? Would you recommend it? I really want a change... I was fully prepared to make the switch today but she made me nervous! Ugh.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 10:19 AM

Yes, she is right. If you are a natural blond, you will always have to touch up your roots to dark again, possibly every 3 to 4 weeks. And, yes, going back to your natural blond would be very damaging for your hair and scalp.

Tick
    gino88 Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Done the same thing couple of month back! Well, I've actually went from really light blonde to brown about 3 times so.. but, its not THAT much hasstle but it can wreck your hair a tad if you go back and forth y'know? If you want it go for it! Worst comes to worst you gradually lighten it back up to blonde, its not that difficult.. I will say the roots are a bit of a pain, like mines come in quite quick and they are pretty light even though my hair is a dirty blonde it looks white compared to the brown but it's the same dying hair blonde and keeping up with the roots.. plus its fun to get a whole new look just from changing your hair colour :) everybody does it!

Feb 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Thanks for your input guys! Yeah that's true about the maintenance, I still need root touch ups now because my roots look really dark compared to my light blonde colour... I have friends who made the switch and they look a lot better brown. I find it really brings out blue eyes, which I have :) I know it will be damaging though to go back blonde, but I've been blonde all of my life and think I need a change!

Feb 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Oh I have one more question... when you made the switch did you gradually go from blonde to brown? Like darker and darker until you finally liked the colour? Or did you just do it in one shot? Also, did you go to a salon? Some of my friends use the off the counter dye from a drugstore, however I'm a bit iffy using that stuff.
    gino88 Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Feb 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
    I used bottle dye from a drugstore, I used nice and easy but to be honest its better for dying blonde hair, nutrisse is better for browns! I'm more impatient that's mainly why I just bought a bottle dye.. but it took 2 dyes to totally get the blonde to brown without it looking grey so I'd do it when you've got a weekend free so you can do it like on the Friday then another on the Sunday, give your hair a little break y'know. And don't wash your hair before you dye.. I went for a light golden brown now I'm sticking with a medium golden brown. Went with the golden tones because it has some reddish tones through it which I think is nicer than a blunt cold ash brown, but that's preference.. anyway this is only if you decide to go for it and do it from a bottle dye! If uve not used bottle dye before make sure do an allergy test , etc... good luck whatever you decide :) maybe Google the different shades of brunette you fancy? I'm sure it'll be hot anyway!
    Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 09:56 AM

Gino has good advise, but remember, you are blonde, so don't pick an extremely dark brown or you will get black. And don't buy anything with ash in it.

Correct about not washing first, instructions say that, but you must wash first and wait if you have a lot of lacquer or dressing on your hair. The colour will not take if your hair is mucked up with stuff.

Tick
    danielleLC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 05:29 PM
    OK, so I wanted the same change too. I went from a light blonde to a super dark brown. But I hate it. So much. I wanted to go to a like brunette. But my friend screwed up, and now I have almost black hair, with a hint of red tint in it. I absolutely hate it and wish I never did this. I need to make my hair lighter, but I don't know how without damaging my hair and spending a butt ton of money at the salon. Someone please give me some advive.
    Xoxo, Danielle.
    haylanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 04:10 AM
    I've done the switch back and forth from blonde to brunette and am going back again now.
    I went straight to a warm chocolate brown straight from blonde, and was pretty happy with it. I went to the salon for this, and I would recommend this for the first go. Ask them for advice on home-dying while you're there. However, I found doing my roots at home really tricky, and never really got it right, so this time I'll be getting roots done at the salon.

One mishap was trying to go a shade darker brown, and accidentally going black, so a general rule is to buy a dye with a picture that's a shade lighter than you want if you hair is already dyed brown).
    Also try and avoid really red-browns (your hairdresser could let you know which colours have a red undertone if you're not sure) and try and avoid these if you think you might go blonde anytime soon. Home dye kits tend to have a lot of red pigments in their browns (or so I found), and this makes it INCREDIBLY difficult and time/money consuming to take out to get back to blonde. I'm talking multiple bleachings here, and I was was just lucky I have very healthy hair.

However, I fully recommend switching hair colours, it's great fun!
    laurzc11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
    Omg I'm in the same predicament hollie nash! I was just wondering peeps would my hair be healthier darker because since I've been dying my hair lighter blondes (my natural hair colours dirty blonde) I've found my hairs thinner and dryer?
    deejo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 04:47 PM
    I just went from light blonde (highlights and base professionally dyed) to dark brown. I went to Sally's and bought Wella Charm permanent gel type color with 20 volume developer. I bought cinnamon brown and black cherry. I tested an underneath area above and in front of my ear but under the top layer of hair by mixing them half and half. It was a little dark so when I finished mixing the bottle I used just the cinnamon brown.. so there was basically a dash of black cherry and the rest cinnamon brown and the result was a shiny medium to dark brown truffle color. It's a great color.. a little of a shock when you are used to your hair being lighter than your skin, but still nice. I left it on for 25 minutes.. After two washings I can see where my stronger highlights will bleed through a little which will soften the look a little. I highly recommend the Wella from Sally's.
    VickiiTodd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 11:36 PM
    Okay, so I legit just did this an hour ago, went from a light blonde to a chocolate brown, or that's what I meant to do. I used a bottled dye and did it at home with my mom and dads help. This is a horrible idea if yew have naturally light hair, anything lighter than dirty blonde generally. After I rinsed my hair, conditioned it and let it dry, it turned grayish-brown. It's hideous and I have to try to get it back to blonde now. I suggest gradually going up in color, from a dark blonde to a golden brown, but I really suggest against anything too dark like chocolate or mahogany. And I agree with some of the other comments up here, go for something with red or golden tones, if yew get a flat color, yew end up with gray/brown hair regretting the decision hardcore. Those are just my two sense though, I bet whatever yew decide to do will be fabulous, just telling yew my experience as a seventeen year old avid hair colorer:) Hope I helped
    clairsentient5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 10:27 AM
    Please!! The word is ****you*** not yew!! Omfg
    Expert

May 31, 2013, 10:42 AM
    @clair, old thread, your post was a waste of time, and by the way OMFG is not allowed and why is that expletive, in abbreviation, necessary?
    shannos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 04:39 PM
    I'm a natural blonde, my hair is as blonde as it gets, I dyed my hair black, I was going through a faze, I actually liked it much more then blonde, but re groth is actually really gross, it makes you look balled. Going back to blonde costs a lot of money and takes about 6-12 months, you have to go to salons and get streaks every 3 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying bleached blonde hair back to dark brown [ 9 Answers ]

I have bleached blonde hair and I am wanting to dye it back to my natural color. I can't afford to go to the salon so what do you suggest. Also, my I have tried to go to a dark blonde, but I think it has a green tint to it. Also I need suggestions on getting my hair healthy again after getting it...

Dying hair from bleech blonde to dark brown [ 5 Answers ]

How can I dye my hair dark brown, its bleech blonde at the moment, but I don't want to go to the hairdressers because its too expensive! Can you help me! :)

I had light blonde hair, dyed it medium blonde, it turned out very dark brown. WTD? [ 1 Answers ]

I have medium blonde hair naturally. It was light blonde, and my roots were grown out pretty bad, and I bought Wella 711N which is medium blonde, and I used a 10 volume developer. I left it on for 20 minutes, and it turned out pretty dark. I have been washing it with joy dish soap. I read that I...

Dying brown hair to a light ash brown/caramel blonde [ 1 Answers ]

Basically. I have naturally dark auburn hair which is just really ginger/red/brown hair and I hate having any red/ginger in my hair, so I have dyed it dark dark brown/almost black for about 2 years now because that seems to be the only way to get the red out of my hair. I would like to go to a...

Dark chocolate to light brown? Hair crisis [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. My natural hair colour is medium/light blonde. Last year I started getting a few light blonde streaks. 7 weeks ago I dyed my hair warm brown which said it would wash out in 6-8 weeks. It didn't come out fully so I was left with a light brown with a few blonde bits through it. I didn't like it....

View more questions Search