Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dednnyholtmo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Reverse rotation electric motor
    How do I reverse the direction of rotation of a bench grinder. I want to use it for sharpening of wood-working tools and have been told the direction the grinding wheels spin should be counter-clockwise:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:22 AM
    The info is usually printed on the nameplate or just under the cover of the motor junction box on the motor. Motors either have links or wires. Most of the times the wires will appear to be all black, however if you look carefully at the insulation you will see numbers printed on the insulation. I've always used the name plate.

Here's what I dug up on the net:

Reversing and Repair of Electric Motors
    dednnyholtmo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dednnyholtmo
    How do I reverse the direction of rotation of a bench grinder. I want to use it for sharpening of wood-working tools and have been told the direction the grinding wheels spin should be counter-clockwise:confused:
    Thanks for your response. The attachment was probably very clear to an electrician but I couldn't make heads or tails of the wiring diagrams.
    There are 4 wires running into the winding; a black or hot, two red from I assume a capacitor and a white. It is not obvious what is attached to what. However, I am confident that if I swap attachment of a couple of wires I will reverse rotation of the motor. The question is, which two?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
    The motor is probably not reverseable. This would be done to save manufacturing costs on a high volume item. Your assessment, I believe, is valid.

BTW, if you turn the grinding wheel over you'll achieve the same thing. I should have caught that. There is no need to do it electrically.
    sand420 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 05:03 AM
    We can do it in two way;s
    1-if we revers the suppl current to armatur.
    2-if revers the current supply to field wnnding.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2011, 05:26 AM

Most all bench grinders rotate the correct direction, They all rotate counter clockwise depending on which way you look at the wheel.
    Facing the wheel, it should be rotating down, not up.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2011, 06:04 AM

Kiss, in that link you provide, near the bottom of the page, just above Motor Protection and Magnetic Starters, they show connecting 1 and 4, then 2 & 3 together and the 5 & 8 for reversing.
    I believe they mean connect 1 & 3, and 2 & 4, then the 5 & 8 are for reversing?
    billlyh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
    Comment on KISS's post
    You can't turn just the wheel over, it will still turn the same way... you'd have to turn the motor over, leaving the wheels intact. You could, then, change ends with the wheel, and have reversed the direction of rotation.
    billlyh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Funny! No matter whether it is turning clockwise, or counterclockwise, one side of the wheel is turing up, the other turning down... so, facing the wheel, it could turn either way, and still apply to your comment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Slowing down an electric motor [ 13 Answers ]

I have an electric motor that rotates at 1750 rpm and I would like to slow it to maybe 100n rpm. Is that possible with out gearing?I am looking for an affordable solution. Thank you. Paul

Electric motor wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hayward motor c48k2n143b1 and I cut the wires from the breaker switch to put a intamatic timer in the system. Somehow I rewired it wrong it keeps burning out the clock timer. It will run manually. But something is wrong. It has a green (ground?)and two red. So I have two red wires that...

AC motor direction of rotation. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Folks, Can anyone tell me about the typical operation of start motor windings of a tumble dryer motor? My timer is broken, and the dryer can start rotating in either direction, the problem being it will work (ie dry the clothes) in one direction, and not in the other. Once it starts in a...

Ceiling fan motor reverse wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings form a 1st poster. I have an old (50's ?) Hunter ceiling which doesn't have a reverse switch on it. How can this be done? Thanks, RNR

View more questions Search