Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madboots Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
    At what age can a child decide which parent to live with in the uk?
    My 11 year old nephew is unhappy at home with mum and wants to live with his dad. He keeps running away as he says his mum doesn't listen to him. His mum is in a relationship where her partner does not spend time with the children and he is unhappy about a forthcoming marriage. His mum and dad were never married and she is fickle about when he can see the children. What are my nephews rights? At what age can he choose to live with his dad? Does dad have to file for parental rights or a residency order? Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 11:40 AM

Is there a custody/visitation agreement - by Court Order?

Apr 1, 2011, 11:53 AM
    In UK, and no courts involved in separation. Purely when mum wants him to see dad he can. All other posts seem to relate to US law.

Apr 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    In UK. No courts involved in separation, visits to dad currently when mum says so. It seems all other posts relate to US law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 11:57 AM

Much the same as the US - the custodial parent (where the child lives) pretty much controls the situation until the Court reviews the situation and makes a determination in the best interest of the CHILD.

The father should go to Court and request custody. The Court will speak to the child but the child will not have the final say. The child will be heard, however.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2011, 04:39 PM

As in the US a child in the UK cannot decide which parent to live with. This is a decision made by a court.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 11:50 PM

In parts of the UK a child can decide at 16.

A residence order is an order providing where a child should live. In cases where there is a dispute about where a child should live, the court decides this according to the child's welfare, while the a main consideration is usually who has been the main carer for the child. In practice there is probably a presumption that the mother has been the main carer and if this has not been the case, the father has the burden to prove this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 8 Answers ]

Hi my daughter is 14 and doesn't like my rules, her father told her there would be no rules at his house if she went to live with him, does anyone know the rules in NH, can she just decide or does he have to fight me on this?

Age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 14 now and wished to live with me now. We live in Indiana. What is the process we need to go through to get this done

At what age can a child decide which parent to live with uk [ 2 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide which divorced parent they want to reside with?

Age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with and what are the steps that need to be taken? Thanks in advance

At what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with [ 1 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with in Texas

View more questions Search