Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sublime5373 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 11:44 AM
    How do I get a free/cheap divorce?
    Hello to all... well I'm in need of a divorce asap!! I just got a job and do not have a lot of money and want to do this all right,. he will sign the papers if I take care of everything. We have 3 things we might fight over... well 1 I know of and it is our 2 year old daughter... I have 2 other children and I want her with all of us... and he will not hear of it... I can come to that later if need be... I have 2 tv's I want (1 from before we were married and the other I just got) and we also have 2 4-wheelers that are my oldest kids and he will not let them have them because he said that I will sell them. And they are not grateful and they do not deserve to have them. That they are ungrateful kids... he has one of his own... he has a DRUG problem (POT) and I know a lot of this he will not fight over because of his "problem" and he does not want it to be brought up... I left to think and went to my grandma's and he said he wanted a divorce and I said OK... and I DO! I only have a bag of clothes and he has everything else... most all of the stuff in the house he can have I don't care... I JUST NEED A DIVORCE!!

We were married for 4 years and were married in TN... he lives in GA and has for the last almost year... I left and moved to TX about a month ago... I know it is 6 months. I just need help with everything from A-Z. and to have all of my I's dotted and t's crossed. If you can help. And I want my old name back!

Thank you
    sublime5373
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Sorry but if he is not going to "just sign the papers" it is not going to be cheap, and it will never be free ( you will have court costs at the least)

So if he is going to fight over custody of the child, the cost will go up fast.
    If he will agree to all the terms of separation, custody and the such, then you can do it cheaper.

The best way is to have a local attorney write up the paper work, and send it to him to sign,

You can order the paper work online ( but don't get any legal advice)

There should be a legal aid in your area, If you can't find it any other way check with your local social service agency they will have referals for legal help normally
    sublime5373 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 12:55 PM
    OK... I will look into that... THANKS... the only reason why he will fight over our daughter is because his 1's x took his son and he just found him (11 years later) and he feels I will do the same... But I will not... Thank you again
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
    If you think you might fight over a few things, by the time the divorce is ready to be finalized you definitely WILL be fighting over these things... and eventually a good deal more.

Unless you can both agree on every issue before having papers drawn up, lawyers will eventually become involved and then there's no chance for a cheap divorce.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2011, 05:48 PM

I work for a divorce attorney and the most expensive divorces we do are the cases people started trying to do on their own, or for "cheap". That's because things are screwed up early on and it costs a lot more for an attorney to go back in and try to get the court to vacate bad orders and so on.

So I recommend that you contact a non-profit legal organization and see if you can get a pro-bono attorney or someone who will make payment arrangements or work on a sliding scale. If you can't find anyone like that, it's worth borrowing money, etc. because particularly when you have a child, the agreement you end up with can be worth tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of your child's life, and it's best to get it right in the beginning.

You could risk custody of your child, and the ability to support the child and yourself by taking the cheap and quick method. Like anything else, you get what you pay for - law is complex, family law can involve several court appearances per case, and while the other guy is getting ahead in the case, you'll still be figuring out how to get started - not a good situation.

Best wishes to you.
    sadgirljen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 09:16 PM
    How can I get a divorce cheap cheap" low income"he's been in the prison system for 9yrs were not on speaking terms he got out June so will that make a difference on our custody agreement?? or do I have to agree on custody rights for our children even if he's been absent 9 yrs my youngest is 10? somebody please help with whatever info you got please thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Where?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Cheap tickets [ 3 Answers ]

Do you know where I can find a cheap ticket from france to sacramento, California? All is just so expensive! :eek:

Cheap mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What is your opinion on interest only mortgages? A person can get a $200,000 house for 1.5 to 2 percent! Their sell is that someone can invest the savings and have enough cash after 30-years to buy the house and have money to retire on... Thoughts? :eek:

View more questions Search