Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carissa5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 03:24 PM
    How much jail time can you get for stealing credit card in Illinois for $5,000?
    Someone I knew stole his mother credit card and brought for 5000 dollars. So I wanted to know how long would he go to jsil for?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 03:44 PM

According to this site (Illinois lawyer), it would be a class 3 felony with purchases over $300, so 2-5 years in prison (but the court may decide otherwise).

Credit Card Fraud Law - Unlawful Use of Credit Card Laws - Aggrevated Identity Theft - Chicago Illinois
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 05:43 PM

Up to 7 years here, min time depends
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2011, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carissa5 View Post
    How much jail time can you get for stealing credit card in illinois for $5,000?
    Hello C:

The answer to your question is, YEARS... But, it's absolutely the WRONG question to ask, because almost NOBODY gets the maximum. So, knowing what the maximum IS, doesn't do you a bit of good.

The question you SHOULD ask, is what can you DO to minimize the time your friend spends in jail... Jail time is NOT automatic... People CAN effect the sentence... You should TRY to DO that.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I do jail time in lieu of 12,000 restitution in California [ 2 Answers ]

I owe 12,000 restitution from about 7 years ago, but I just can't afford it. My question is do you think if I go in and tell the judge that I just can't afford it I can do jail time in lieu of this?

How much jail time for stealing a furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so my house was foreclosed on and I was angry. I told the lender that I was taking all of my items including my furnace and hot water tank, which I did. Now they are trying to press charges. Can I go to jail behind this and how much will this cost me.

What is standard jail time for violation of probation from credit card fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my friends violated her probation she was on probation for credit card fraud now she is being held how many years is she looking at?

Statute of limitations Illinois credit card [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations for a credit card debt in Illinois

View more questions Search