Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smjanouris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Heat Pump - Emergency Heat
    My heat pump keeps changing itself to the aux heat. Can you tell me why it is doing this and how I can prevent it from doing it.
    ScottLwood Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Im no pro but if your heat pump cannot "heat" because the outside temperature is so cold, then the emergency heat will kick on to assist the heat pump. Also if you change the T-stat more than 5 degrees higher than room temp it may kick on. Hope this helps, I'm no expert!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Yes, I have a heat pump and it will heat the outside air up a percentage so if and when it is below a certain temperature outside the heat pump can not by the way it works warm the house to the setting you are using.

So if you don't want it to turn on the aux heat lower your thermostat to a setting that is colder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whalen Heat Pump - no heat! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it. Well, now that the weather is...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Aux heat vs emergency heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have kenmore furnace/heatpump/air units. The thermostat has a switch for heat and one for emergency heat and both have light indicators. The aux heat indicator is lit when heating the house on "heat". When should the emergency heat setting be selected?

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

Emergency Heat vs Auxiliary Heat [ 1 Answers ]

Why is my thermostat saying the Emergency Heat is on rather than the auxiliary heat and what do I do to correct the problem?:confused:

View more questions Search