Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidl183 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Hot water heater as a holding tank for furnace
    I frequently run out of hot water in the shower. I have a furnace that heats the water directly. My question is; Can I use a hot water heater as a holding tank, so I don't run out of hot water? If so what do I need to complete this task?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I'm sure most codes won't alow you to mix domestic water and water for a boiler. You can hook up a second storage tank to the water heater and use a circulating pump to keep them both hot. But first I would do an on demand water heater. Endless hot water at almost half the operating cost. I like Noritz and Rinnai. I get allot of service calls on two of the other brands.
    Lube4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 08:56 AM
    I have a car wash we have a 60gallon hot water tank with another 40 g tank as a holding tank to maintain hot water. My question is what temperature do you set them at ,the second tank is hooked to a makeup pump to circulate water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Water Heater Expansion Tank [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again. I meant an under the air conditioner hot water heater. The current one is 31" high. It has an expansion tank, but I was told it wasn't necessary. I'm in a second floor condo. Is it really necessary and if so, why? Thanks a lot.

Water heater expansion tank [ 2 Answers ]

I need a new water heater and one plumber says the expansion tank on the side is not necessary. Is it? What is the average cost of a 40 gal, under air water heater already hard wired? 2nd floor. Thanks

Water heater expansion tank [ 4 Answers ]

Read a post here concerning the water line back flow preventer/expansion tank and am familiar with its operation and purpose when using city water. My question is, is this setup recommended or even needed on a well water system? My feeling is that the holding tank would take up any expansion. ...

View more questions Search