Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfrenee Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
    Flapper won't go down after flushing
    Hi, my toilet flushes fine but I noticed that it keeps running after a flush. I checked and noticed that the handle connected to the flapper does not go down on its own after flushing. It just sits there so the flapper is open. If I push the handle down, the toilet stops running. How do I fix this? Thanks!
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 03:58 PM

Loosen the nut going to the toilet handle a bit. Here, the nut is actually a REVERSE THREAD so instead of righty-tighty, lefty-loosy, you'll want to go righty (or clockwise) to loosen... ;)

See if that resolves the issue and let us know, OK?

Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2011, 04:03 PM

Disconnect the chain from the handle operate the handle check if it goes up and down if it does now check the flapper lift it up and let it go if it goes down by it self then you need to adjust the length of the chain it sholud have approx. 1/2" slack see the image below. If the flapper or the handle doesn't work replace them, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

sfrenee Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Thanks for the responses! I checked the chain slack, and there is 1/2 inch. I watched the flushing more closely and realized that the handle and the flapper handle were working independently, i.e. the handle could jiggle up and down but the flapper handle just stayed where it was. It was like the flapper handle was too tight. So I sprayed some WD40 on it and now it works! Thanks forum posters!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2011, 08:03 PM

Am glad that it worked and Thanks for the update.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 08:28 PM

Glad you fixed it but WD40 is only temporary, not really a good lubricant. WD stands for water displacement, makes everything very dry. I'd grease it a bit with plumbers silcone grease, WD40 isn't like duct tape, can't fix everything

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flapper won't stay down. It flushes, flapper seats then bobs back up in a sec [ 11 Answers ]

I have shortened the chain, lengthened the chain etc. It finally flushes O.K. & the bowl clears if I hold the handle down for a little bit, the flapper seats then bobs back up and has to be manually pushed down, then it stays. It is a new flapper

Flapper valve assembly won't close after flushing [ 4 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the flapper raises to let the water exit the tank, but won't go back down. It apparently has nothing to do with the chain length. It just seems to be weighted so that it stays open (I don't think that adding weight will help). What can I do to fix this? Thanks!

Backwash with flushing vs poor flushing action [ 1 Answers ]

I had 2 new Kohler Devonshire toilets installed this summer. When solid waste is flushed, sometimes flecks wash back up. I was told by the tech services person that we have blocked air vents. It's hard to believe that two separate vents are blocked in the same way. I think it's the poor...

Toilet Flapper [ 11 Answers ]

First, thank you to everyone for all the helpful advice I have received in this forum. Seriously, it's GREAT! I've been lurking for quite some time but have finally found the need to post with a question. About 2 weeks ago my wife and I noticed the toilet in our basement was "running"...

Flapper Won't Go Down After Flushing [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a toilet removed to replace the flange which was leaking. When it was reinstalled, I asked for a new handle since the old one was corroded. Since the new handle was put in the flapper will not go back down after it flushes. It just stands on end until you jiggle the handle. I...

View more questions Search