Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jccowgirl924 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
    What are the laws to protect the buyer in a land contract in Kentucky?
    I bought a property from a man on land contract. Our agreement said payment was due on the first and must be paid by 30 days of the due date. On the 30th day I went to make the payment and he refused to accept it. He said the payment was late although I thought it was under the designated time. I had a state police officer on the scene to verify everything. He said he wanted us out. Considering that He has moved twice without notification and refused payments what are my legal rights? I have paid half of the price and fear losing my home.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2011, 04:11 PM

Your rights are what is specified in the contract. If you can prove you have held up your end of the contract and he tries to void it, you sue him.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 04:24 PM

So what was the actual due date and exactly which day did you show up to pay. Why are you using up all of this time?
    jccowgirl924 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 09:47 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    The contract was for the 1st and I was there with the cash the 31st. He refused to take a check is the only reason I was there the 31st. I can't do anything because he has moved and I have no current location or address. This is the second time he has moved without any kind of notice. The first time I searched for almost a month and finally found him. I have checks to show all my payments along with my checkbook. I want to know if he can simply put me out or if he has to take me to court so I can tell the judge all this information. I do not want to lose my home but I need to know if I am right or not and what needs to be done.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2011, 04:04 AM

You are not providing us with enough info here. You are saying you showed up with cash on the 31st of a month, but it appears that the payment was for current month not the upcoming one. And if payment is due within 30 days of the first it was late.

Second, you need to read what your contract says about defaulting. The contract will spell out what remedies the seller has in case of default. Most land sales contracts state that in case of default the contract reverts to a rental lease. If that is the case, then he will need to follow the appropriate eviction process for your area. This would then require a hearing where you can present your case.

So you need to read and understand what your contract says not only about when payment is due but what happens in case of default.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I sold my home on a land contract and the buyer abandoned it , what do I do ? [ 2 Answers ]

I sold my home on a land contract, the buyer abandoned the home , how long will it take to regain the home ?

Kentucky laws concerning land contracts [ 1 Answers ]

Here's a good one, signed a contract with a man who has now decided and been approved to change mobile home park to rv/park, however he has yet to give us any details as to his intent, our contract says that we cannot move the mobile home until paid in full and we have to request the title by...

Michigan Land contract - Buyer [ 13 Answers ]

Land contract started June 1992. $1500 down, $24,000 left to pay, 10% interest, $300/month. It has been 16 years so we asked for an itemization of all payments and the seller keeps giving us the run around. It has been months now and they just keep saying call next week, we are busy. They also...

Buyer defaults on land contract, someone else living there [ 3 Answers ]

Sept. 1, 2005 my fiancé and I sold our house in Lexington, KY on a land contract. As of August 1, 2008 they have defaulted on the contract and said that they are going to file Chapter 7. I drove to Lexington and had him sign a document saying that he has terminated the contract, forfeits all...

Buyer Selling a home they have on Land Contract [ 4 Answers ]

I have a land Contract on the home we live in now. We are getting a new home. I have been told to sale the house we live in now. Pay off the Land Contract and keep the profit. Can you do this? How? Thanks

View more questions Search