Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grmaer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Can I claim my grandson?
    My daughter had a baby this fall.. since he was born (and before that) I have paid the unsubsidised rent, utility bills, day care while my daughter worked for a short time and purchased most of his clothing,diapers etc.. So except for the state aid help, she does not get child suport.. I have paid most, if not all of his support. They do not live with me but I pay the bills. Would this qualify him as my dep?
    Also, she does have 2 other childern who are claimed by their father.. she only has $1500 in earned income for the year. If the baby would qualify as my dep, would she still be able to claim EIC?
    Thanks for any help
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Is your daughter filing a tax return this year? If she is, then she will probably be claiming her son. Why don't you talk to her about it? If she doesn't claim him and no one else can legally claim him as an exemption, I don't think there is a legal problem with you doing that. You have paid for the bulk of his care. If you have all the receipts, it should not be an issue.

Feb 3, 2007, 02:14 PM
    I think she may file but does not need him for deduction.. she would only benefit with EIC? Can she file EIC without using him as dep
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
    No. If she files an EIC, that form is specifically designed for a dependent child. She should be filing a 1040 and not list him at a dependent at all for you to be able to take advantage of this.
    SingleMom7105 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 3, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grmaer
    My daughter had a baby this fall.. since he was born (and before that) I have paid the unsubsidised rent, utility bills, day care while my daughter worked for a short time and purchased most of his clothing,diapers etc.. so except for the state aid help, she does not get child suport.. I have paid most, if not all of his support. They do not live with me but I pay the bills. Would this qualify him as my dep?
    Also, she does have 2 other childern who are claimed by their father.. she only has $1500 in earned income for the year. If the baby would qualify as my dep, would she still be able to claim EIC?
    Thanks for any help
    No, my parents claim my son as we live with them. We were told that either I could claim him or them but not both.

Feb 3, 2007, 02:48 PM
    She would not be claiming him as dep..
    I was just questioning if she could still file EIC because I know that when I got divorced, my ex husband claimed the kids as his deps but I claimed them for EIC as they lived with me... according to the EIC forms my grandson does meet all the requirements for his mother to file EIC, age residency (he does live with her) and relationship for her to claim the EIC.. I would not be filing EIC... I will do some more checking to make sure

Thanks for the responses
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 02:52 PM
    grmaer, I am sure one of the CPA experts will stop by this post and offer up his advice. Sometimes it can take a couple of days but I am pretty sure they will see this posting.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2007, 11:22 PM
    Okay, Grmaer, you CAN claim your grandson as a dependent if you provided the support you stated and if neither parent claims the child.

Further, you can also claim your daughter as a dependent since she made less than $3,300 in 2006. In fact, claiming your daughter as a dependent makes impossible for her to claim her son as a dependent.

However, do this MAY endanger some of her state aid, because the state may take the position that they need not provide the aid if you are claiming them as a dependent. A phone call to the state aid department should clear that up.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 07:44 AM
    A.T.E. I am having some difficulty rating you. Although the program allows me to, it is dragging and I keep getting an error message. So, I will try again later.

Just wanted to say: A.T.E. to the rescue! Thank you so much. grmaer added in the "Also...EIC" portion of her original question after I had initially answered it. My thought was that she should claim both as you suggest but since the daughter is on state aid, I didn't think it wasn't possible.

Thanks again!

Feb 4, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Thanks a lot for all your help. Sorry about adding to the post, I think I was adding to it while you were answering.. I just wanted to clarify the question. :p
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 08:49 AM
    No problem grmaer. I was just letting Atlanta Tax Expert know why I didn't include the EIC info as part of my original response. No harm done sweetie! :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
    No problem all! Glad to help!
    ellie66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 10:41 AM
    If mom claimed her grandson all year can his mother claim him at the end of the year?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Only one person may claim a person as a dependent for a given year. There is no provision that allows a person to claim a dependent for only part of the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 child 1 grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My son and his grilfriend will not let me see my grandson she is using that baby on the family and so is he I am bipolar raised my son on my own we were so thight this gril calls me a frick and ever thing else my son lets this go on she is killing my sons health he looks so bad she sits at home and...

What should I claim on my W4 [ 2 Answers ]

I am projecting that I will make around 51k this year and my wife should make around 39k. Last year we both claimed Single, 0 on our W4's and filed our taxes jointly. We have 1 child and I was wondering if it would be better for us to change what we claim on our W4. Does anyone have any suggestions...

Who can I claim [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is disabled and has no other income besides SSI. I help her out 50% of the time, can I claim her on my taxes as a dependent?

Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

My sister passed away 2 months ago from a brief fight with cancer. (six weeks, age 50). Before she died she quit claim our fathers land to my brother and this was okay with the rest of kids. Then 3 weeks later my brother finds out he has cancer and dies 5 weeks later. He quit claims the land to me...

Claim as Dependent? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B and my wife is on H4. My son is a US citizen who was born in 2004. My wife and kid were out of US for 11 and a half months visiting my country on a vacation. I have the following questions: 1. Can I still file with "Married Filling Jointly" status? 2. Can I still claim my...

View more questions Search