Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyMonster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Can puppies eat oatmeal?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 06:36 PM

Well, how old are we talking here? Are they still nursing? Are you weaning them? Is there any reason you want them to eat oatmeal specifically?

My (adult) dogs eat oatmeal all the time. It's excellent for their coats. They eat it mixed with their food wither raw or cooked.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2011, 09:55 PM

I would say no... just to be on the safe side that these are little, baby puppies...

Puppies need puppy food. Unless you are willing to do the research, spend the time to cook raw or holistic natural foods, stick to the dog food. Or in your case, puppy food.

If puppies aren't nursing off mom, figure out why. Typically a trip to the vet for that.

If puppies are weaning.. Use puppy food. High quality puppy foods will typically have oatmeal in the formula, so they are still getting the nutrients needed from grains, along with the other nutrients needed for growing puppies.

If your puppy for some reason got into oatmeal, no harm done. Dogs, like humans, need grains, veggies and SOME fruits in their diets. If they ate a lot of oatmeal, be prepared for lots of poop!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 24, 2011, 04:02 AM

There is actually nothing wrong with feeding puppies oatmeal. It isn't going to hurt them. I wouldn't feed them oatmeal as their main source of food, but there is nothing un-healthy about feeding oatmeal to pups or dogs. Cooked grains are nearly 100% digestible for dogs. It's actually only wheat they have a hard time digesting.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2011, 07:28 AM

I didn't say there is anything wrong with oatmeal. I just covered all bases. If they're feeding as a supplement, then fine. If it's the main source of food, no, not fine. If they are feeding weening puppies oatmeal, thinking they will eat like human babies first, then its wrong. There isn't enough stuff in oatmeal to give a balance diet. If the puppies got into oatmeal or is being fed oatmeal by a child in the home, then no.. No harm done. Like I said, I was just covering all my bases. I wasn't disagreeing with you.. just covering a more broad spectrum.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2011, 07:52 AM

I don't know what is is called in the US but when we have a litter they get a small amount of Weetbix when they are being fussy. It has enough nutrients to get them by and the sugar content keeps the blood sugars up if they aren't eating.

Of course the best thing for a growing pup is always a specially formulated puppy food.
    Depending on the age of the puppy it might require either wet or dry food (or a combination of the 2). Very young puppies can usually only handle wet food until they have enough teeth cut through to be able to crunch the dry.

You can also soak dry food to make it soft. Do this by mixing approx 1 cup of dry with half a cup of warm (not boiling) water. Leave to sit for half an hour until soaked through, there should be no liquid left in the bowl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I achieve the Oatmeal color, MJ in 87-88 era. [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible, to use monobenzone, Or something else And only become, what Michael Jackson was in 87-88 This oatmeal, color, without becoming plain white, as he ended up to be. And stop it there,

Why do puppies eat grass [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 6 week old puppy why does she eat grass

4 week old poodle puppies won't eat softened food [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have six 4 week old toy poodle puppies. I am trying to get them to eat softened food. Any ideas?

Mom dog won't eat and I don't know how much and how often to bottle feed puppies. [ 2 Answers ]

My dog just had puppies, they are now 12 days old. She has now stopped eating and I don't know what to do. How much should I feed the puppies and how often? I will try to help her eat but what do I do about the puppies? I need help!!

My puppies won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my 18 week old pit bulls will not eat. They will eat a little then walk away and will not touch the stuff again I have tried diamond puppy, nutro max, beneful and they do the same thing to all of the foods. Please help me I am going crazy also they are suppose to eat three times a day but...

View more questions Search