Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bardonicus Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
    Girlfriend not affectionate
    Hi Guys,

I have been dating a girl for a bit over 6 months now and I have a minor problem. When we started our relationship she told me that she is not a very emotional person. This is something that picked up more than I thought it would. She hardly ever hugs me, hold me or kisses me out of her own. I know I do it quite often and sometimes she gets annoyed with it because she is busy doing something or I just plainly "hang onto her". She on the other hand hardly ever shows affection. I am a sensitive (and very romanticly driven) guy and this is something that is important to me. I have spoken to her about his and she just said that this is who she is. I think there might be an additional underlaying insecurity that I need to mention and that is that she was engadged in her previous relationship.

How do I overcome this? I would love for her to show me how much she loves me through romantic things (like I do for her).
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2011, 01:39 AM

If she has told you that this is how she is,there's not a lot you can do.

You can't force her to change her personality for you.

If you can't live with how she is,maybe you should consider whether the two of you should be together.
    Bardonicus Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 14, 2011, 03:20 AM

But surely if you know that if something simple is going to mean so much for the other person then why not just do it? Am I wrong here? If I am I need to know so that I can change my thinking.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 03:37 AM

I'm just like your girl. I am not openly affectionate. I have no underlying problems, just not all touchy feely.

if something simple is going to mean so much for the other person then why not just do it?
    Because we are not affectionate people.
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2011, 04:42 AM

I'm exactly the same also, I don't like touchy feely, I don't show affection in the ways you want her too, but I am a good girlfriend. I never let my boyfriend down, I'm very loyal to him, I'm never late, I listen to him and I'm always there when he has a problem and needs someone there. Be happy with what you have! I'm sure she has plenty of other ways to show you she cares
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 05:34 AM

Bottom line... Don't try to change a person. They are what they are. Either you accept it or move on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 09:01 AM

Its only been 6 months and you are trying to change her to fit your needs. That's a bit selfish, as she has told you, and shown you how she is, so accept it, or leave it alone, because you sure ain't going to change it.

If your patient, as time goes on a compromise of sorts can be reached, but demanding something from another who isn't willing to give it, never works.

Hey you chose her for what she was, so why isn't that good enough now Mr. Romantic Touchy Feely?

Pay attention, she maybe showing affection in other ways that you may not be picking up on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

He doesn't like to be affectionate... [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend was in prison for many years so he's not use to showing affection to anyone. Every time I bring up how I want him to be affectionate to me he gets upset. How do I get him to be affectionate with me? He has been in prison for so many years when we make love there's no foreplay...

My girlfriend is'nt very loving and affectionate? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with my girl for a little under a year, the relationships a little rocky she judges me frequently and says she doesn't like a lot of things about me, at times I feel like she honestly dislikes me because of how much she judges, and criticizes me. And I could deal with it if she would...

Why is my man not affectionate? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm 36 I've been with my man almost 2 yrs now on christmas day he asked me to marry him I said yes , when we first met we were having sex and he was more affectionate , now its terrible all I get it a quick peck in the morning then one when he comes home then another when he goes to bed . I...

My Girlfriend broke up with me, because I was not affectionate enough.. [ 5 Answers ]

I was also rude sometimes to her and would hold back my feelings.I know the brake up was my fault, but it still takes two. The reason why I did not show my feelings, was because she would always push me away. So I got use to not saying sweet things to her.The last few months of are relationship,I...

He wants me to be more affectionate. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I am new to this site so ill start by introducing myself. I am female, aged 19 and live near London. I am going university this year to study graphic design and being a student, I only work part time. My boyfriend is aged 20 and studying illustration at university in London, and we've...

View more questions Search