Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkyville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Child Support reduction
    When my child support was figured my x was working... now she has had a 3rd child and has stopped working completely. Part of what she claimed in the child support was "work related child care expenses" she no longer has them but it is still included in the figures. Am I to keep paying the same amount while she stays home to take care of her 3rd child from 3rd father?? She has the ability to earn money should she not be responsible for supporting our child too? In addition I make more now then I did then, but now she gets to claim another child in her home. I have no problem taking care of my child, but I do not see how it is fair that she not contribute financially too. I can understand wanting to stay home with her baby but I do not feel I should support her too by my x not working. My wife would love to stay home with our child but with the amount of child support paid each month it is not possible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Ok as I am learning all states have their own rules and ways of figureing child support locally in my state her job has nothing to do with support except for the child care expense, but any raises in pay you get, will cause you to pay more, since here how much you pay is based mostly on your pay, not her life situation.

But you are to pay exacly the same amount unless you get the court to change it, so if you wish to petition the court for a lower payment you will have to file a motion and go to court to get the judge to order it to be lower.
    rrmartinez Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2007, 10:24 AM
    By my personal experience, you would be taking a risk if you were to attempt to change the amount of child support you are paying. The courts look at the support as a way to balance the incomes of the two families, for the sake of the child. If she is no longer working (and therefore making less money) and you are making more money, there is a definite possibility that you could wind up paying more than you currently are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child support [ 1 Answers ]

I Lived In Illinios Until 2003 I Moved Up Here To Wisconsin, Of Course My Ex Lived Here To Which We Have Two Daughters Together. He Had Not Seen His Daughters In 10 Years. Of Course Not Paid Child Support In Those 10 Years. I Had An Order Out Of Kendall County Ill Were My Divorce Was Filed. It...

View more questions Search