Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RoseChrusciel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 07:31 PM
    UTI infections-can your partner give these to you?
    Can you get recurring UTI infections from your spouse or partner? I hope my husband isn't cheating on me--I keep getting these darn things-and sometimes there is no bacteria. But I am famaliar with cystitis-however can you get these from your partner?
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:29 PM
    What causes urinary tract infections?

Usually, germs get into your system through your urethra-the tube that carries urine from your bladder to the outside of your body. The germs that usually cause these infections live in your large intestine and are found in your stool. If these germs get inside your urethra, they can travel up into your bladder and kidneys and cause an infection.

Women tend to get more bladder infections than men. This is probably because women have shorter urethras, so it is easier for the germs to move up to their bladders. Having sex can make it easier for germs to get into your urethra.

You may be more likely to get an infection if you do not drink enough fluids, you have diabetes, or you are pregnant. The chance that you will get a bladder infection is higher if you have any problem that blocks the flow of urine from your bladder. Examples include having kidney stones or an enlarged prostate gland.

For reasons that are not well understood, some women get bladder infections again and again.

Source: WebMD - Better information. Better health.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Yes, you can get bladder infections from your husband.

If his penis is dirty(from whatever cause) and he strokes you too long, you can easily get an infection.

If your husband gives you oral sex, his saliva can travel up your urethra and give you a UTI.

It is best for a woman to keep her genitals clean and avid too much stroking when making love, and in addition, keep oral sex to a minimum.

Taking antibiotics for bladder or kidney infections will eventually end with antibiotics not being effective... when you really need them for pneumonia, for example.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    It is best for a woman to keep her genitals clean and avid too much stroking when making love, and in addition, keep oral sex to a minimum.

Taking antibiotics for bladder or kidney infections will eventually end with antibiotics not being effective....when you really need them for pneumonia, for example.

What?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Taking antibiotics for bladder or kidney infections will eventually end with antibiotics not being effective....when you really need them for pneumonia, for example.
    Completely inaccurate. Ineffective antibiotics is caused when a person stops taking the antibiotics before the recommended time. When people stop taking antibiotics when they feel better, rather than taking the entire round of meds, that particular bacteria becomes immune to that particular antibiotic. **EDIT** There are different antibiotics for UTIs and pneumonia. You don't use the same antibiotics for both.

Now, back to the OP.

Yes, sex tends to cause UTIs because the urethra of the woman is shorter than that of a man. To prevent UTIs it is best to urinate before and after sex.
    ChristinaSuzann Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Hi there, I too have had many UTI throughout my life. Rest assured this is not sexually transmitted. Some of these points I am about to mention you might already know but I will list what I know just in case...

- Wipe from front to back

-Do not use heavy perfumes or detergents on your undergarments or sprays or scented pads etc

- Do not wear tight fitting pants

-After intercourse make sure you urinate and wipe yourself clean (this is a big one! And helps A LOT)

-Be careful during intercourse, if his penis goes near you anally don't let him rub it up to your clitoris as this is where the bacteria that causes UTI's comes from and as mentioned women have a smaller track for the bacteria to move through and if you are prone this is a sure fire way to get an infection!

I have found that following these tips I have only had one or two over the course of the last ten years.

Hope this helps :)
    ChristinaSuzann Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Oh yes one more I forgot to mention try to only wear cotton panties as other fabrics do not allow you to breat properly and do not absorb the moisture which is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria! (another big one that helped me) They do sell cute as heck cotton panties... lol So save the satin and lace for special occasions only... smiles
    Aronel74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Several things give me UTI!!
    - oral sex
    - more than one soda daily
    - spicey foods
    - personal massager (kept very clean)
    - perfumed detergent in laundry with panties
    -him bumping my clitoris after going near bottom

HELP!!
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 02:48 PM

Bacteria causes UTI, not sodas, not "spicey" foods.
    Aronel74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    OK so it's a bladder infection that I get with spicy foods just the same they hurt like crap. I go to a kidney spec. once a month . I am tired to swearing things off. The sodas are probably causing the bladder inf. Too but as I said they still hurt like crap
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 05:42 PM

The question was UTIs. I understand that bladder infections are very painful - but that was not the question.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 07:08 PM

A UTI is a bladder infection. It's also a kidney infection.

UTI stands for Urinary tract infection. It is an infection of any part of the urinary tract. That includes, but is not limited to the urethra, bladder, kidneys, and ureters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Yeast infections? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay.. im14 and I don't have itching or burning of urination, but I have a white/ yellow discharge.. I'm pritty shure it's a yeast infection.. but the problem is how do I tell me mom? I'm really skared.. I don't want to go to the doctor I have a male doc. And he freaks me out.. my mom has tried to...

Infections, infections,infections [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'M 23 years l and I often get some sort of bacterial infection. I either get a yeast infection a week before my period/ a throat infection / or a new problem Uti. Something tells me though that all this activity is not good. Any advise as to what could be causing this?

Ear Infections [ 2 Answers ]

My 5 month old has his first ear infection and has been prescribed antibiotics. I know as an adult when I feel ill, I lose my appetite a little... My baby has been eating a little bit less than normal, but he is still eating. When does it become a concern if his appetite doesn't return to normal?...

Eye infections [ 3 Answers ]

My dog has had 2 eye infections in the past 9 weeks, both times it has been in her right eye the vet "seems" to think it maybe allergies, if it is allergies why is it just the one eye? Also could it be maybe her hair is irratating her eyes?

My dad and his infections [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I am asking about my dad who is 75 years old he is disabled. He suffers from Ascites Liver decease decompensated 2 degrees: He is in remission from alcohol for about 4 years, however he has oedema of the stomach. He is constantly getting urine infections where he is losing all awareness of his...

View more questions Search