Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batmobil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Someone claimed my child on taxes
    I e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone I don't even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do I take to find out who it is and what do I do about it:mad:
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
    How did you receive information that someone claimed one of your children? Who is this information from?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by batmobil
    i e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone i dont even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do i take to find out who it is and what do i do about it:mad:

The only way you would know this would be if IRS so advised you - if you file a protest IRS will tell you who filed, audit that person, you take the exemption if you are entitled.

This sounds a little bizarre - how did the person get the child's SS number? - but I have heard of this when child support is allowed and both people file.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    The only way you would know this would be if IRS so advised you - if you file a protest IRS will tell you who filed, audit that person, you take the exemption if you are entitled.

This sounds a little bizarre - how did the person get the child's SS number? - but I have heard of this when child support is allowed and both people file.

WHOOPS - I mean when child support is ordered!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 05:11 PM
    The someone else was your ex-husband maybe? If he claimed your child and your settlement agreement in your divorce said you were to claim child, then the IRS will honor your claim and deny his claim. You need to contact IRS to see what paperwork you need to fill out to straighten this mess out.
    v_e Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by batmobil
    i e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone i dont even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do i take to find out who it is and what do i do about it:mad:
    If someone (not an ex-husband or Father of the child) has claimed your child's SS# on their taxes, then you maybe are dealing with Identity theft. Take the advice from the others that have posted. Find out from the IRS who is doing this. Have the IRS audit their taxes/claim. If it is someone that you don't know, go through the steps of identity theft for your child. Seek out a good lawyer or get a subscription to a service like Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. that can help you put together everything. Ask the prepaid legal about the identity theft protection plan that includes a lawyer as part of the process.
    vivarantthang Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2008, 09:15 PM
    You can't find out who did it it is against the law to release that info. The IRS will send you both letters and you both must prove the children lived with you. If they can't, they must repay whatever refund they got. I went through this with my kids deadbeat dad. He wouldn't even pay child support and had the nerve to claim them on his tax return. I knew who it was the minute they kicked back my tax return. It is too bad that we can't have them arrested for it. To me it is grand larceny!
    2centzworth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Comment on vivarantthang's post
    Thanks
    anesha000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
    I tried to file my own taxes and someone had claim him so how do I block anyone from filing him again
    anesha000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 08:00 AM
    I know who filed his father did and he do not take care of him that's why I have a child support order in now how do I take the steps to take legal action
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anesha000 View Post
    i tried to file my own taxes and someone had claim him so how do i block anyone from filing him again
    i know who filed his father did and he do not take care of him thats why i have a child support order in now how do i take the steps to take legal action
    Please don't add your question to someone else's old thread. It requires us to waste time reading old material that may not be pertinent to your issue. Please start your own thread instead.

You can't really stop your ex from filing his tax return in whatever way he chooses to. The IRS will give you the opportunity to show that you had the right to claim the child as a dependent.
    aintplaying Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 08:06 PM
    I was told after you file your taxes it public record and anyone can find out this informatin... hmmm my ex and his CPA must have lied to me which doesn't surprise me.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2011, 05:03 AM

Someone told you that tax returns of private individuals are public record?

If the CPA lied or misled you, that's professional misconduct and can be reported to the licensing board.
    aintplaying Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 02:13 PM
    Back in 2008 I was separated, moved to another state other than my ex, and filed taxes at years end... much to my surprise my ex called and told me he and his CPA looked at my return and my ex new how I claimed, what I claimed and what my return was going to be. And he told me it was completely legal to do that because that's what his CPA told him! I was shocked to say the least. Now if that's the case couldn't I do the same to him to find out if he is claiming my kids when he isn't suppose to be?
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 05:58 AM

Tax returns are NOT public record. Maybe they were bluffing. I have no idea. Maybe they put 2 and 2 together and got 4.

Contact IRS in your Region and ask. I already know what their answer will be - the documents are confidential.

I don't know how you know he is claiming "your" kids but file your Return the way the Court has directed (whatever provision was made for taxes) and let IRS sort it out.
    ghost_gurl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Is it possible for the foster parents to clain kids after they have gone back to the real parents after they been in the parents care for a year and half
    tracyhunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 08:30 AM
    I was staying with my daughter-n-law for a year and when I went with her down to the place so she could claim my son cause I have not been working someone else had claimed him how can I find out who did it cause another year is coming and I don't wanty it happening again
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 10:55 AM
    I don't know what you mean by "i went with her down to the place so she could claim my son cause i have not been working" - what place are you referring to? But to answer your question: the IRS will not disclose who it is that claimed your son, as tax returns are private information. But it really doesn't matter - if your daughter-in-law is eligible to claim him she should just do so as appropriate and be prepared to provide proof in case asked by the IRS. If someone else has already claimed your son as a dependent then your daughter-in-law would not be able to file electronically, but rather will have to file a paper tax return instead - but that doesn't matter because filing a paper return versus e-filing has no effect on the taxes owed or refund due. Then the IRS will try and resolve the conflict, and will rule in favor of the custodial parent (you).
    stephngurlz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 06:39 AM
    They won't tell you who claimed your child... you have to file a paper return n send in proof that your child lived with you (something from child's dr, school records, anything you can find)... happened to me 2 yrs in a row... if you efiled you will have to pay to get your taxes amended...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 06:22 PM
    I tried to file my own taxes and someone had claim him so how do I block anyone from filing him again
    There really is no practical way to dictate what he puts on his tax return.

I know who filed his father did and he do not take care of him that's why I have a child support order in now how do I take the steps to take legal action
    File the paperwork with the IRS. It's a nuisance, but you don't really have a viable lawsuit against him; you weren't significantly damaged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming my child on my taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Does my child have to be at least six months in order for me to claim her on my taxes?

IRS rejected my taxes because someone claimed my son [ 4 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes this year only to find out that it was rejected by the IRS because someone has claimed my son... how can I find out who and can I prosecute?

How much do we get for a child and wife on taxes [ 4 Answers ]

How much do we get for a child and wife on taxes

Who filed my child on their taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out who filed my child?

Claiming a child on taxes [ 11 Answers ]

My Husband and I have one son together and he has one that he pays child support for. We pay child support with no questions asked and have for all 5 years of his life. The thing is that we have him the exact amount of time his mother has him... One week on and one week off. My question is "Is...

View more questions Search