Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richco44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 09:27 AM
    What gauge wiring and what size breaker is needed for a 5hp air compressor 240 volt
    It is a 240 volt, 15 amp. Vertical compressor and is about 50 feet from the service panel.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
    There should be a label (plate) on the motor which gives the specifics of that motor. Where did you get the 15 amp information from... from that plate? It's more than likely you will need a 2 pole 20 amp breaker with 12ga wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Required circuit breaker size for 240 volt dayton 3UG73 electric heaters [ 11 Answers ]

What size breaker should be used for a dayton 3UG73 electric heater , wired for 240 volts

Wiring 230 volt air compressor [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a 230 volt air compressor 3.5 hp to my shop.The delima is my shop is 300 feet from my house breaker box. Is it possible to pull enough power that far to run the compressor safely? Maybe I should just get 300 feet of air hose. LOL

What type of plug will I need to wire my air compressor 208-240 volt 15 amp motor [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a 60 gallon air compressor and it didn't come with a plug. I need to know what type of plug I'm going to need to wire to it. It just has 2 connections (1 black 1 white). What type of plug do I buy to hook up, and where can I get one? The motor is 208-240 volts 15 amps.

What size wire and breaker are needed for a 5Hp, 14Amp 220 V motor? [ 10 Answers ]

I have to run an outlet for a 5hp 14 amp 220 v motor. The motor will be about 10 feet from the panel, but by the time I have run up, over, and down, it is about 20 feet. What size wire and breaker should I use?

220 volt wiring And Important Consumer Information about Air Compressor Ratings [ 10 Answers ]

I had a 220 volt outlet installed in the garage of my new home to accommodate a 6.5hp air compressor, which requires 220 volts / 20 amps. My compressor has a three wire plug, but the new home has a four wire outlet, so I bought a four wire appliance cable. The pressure switch on the compressor...

View more questions Search