Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkawalilak Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 02:17 PM
    Hunter Ceiling Fan with remote, 4 wires from ceiling box, 3 wires on remote box:
    "I am installing a Hunter Ceiling Fan with remote, into an existing ceiling fan location: Black, Red, White and Green wires come out of the ceiling box, two switches on the wall to turn on lights and fan(speed). New fan has remote box with Black and White wires: Connecting black to black and white to white, red capped off, no lights, no fan. Connecting red to black, white to white, black(ceiling) capped off, fan(with or without remote) and no lights. How do I wire this ceiling fan so that the fan and the lights work?"
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 02:58 PM

OK with a remote you will abandone one of the old switches. Find out which switch controls power to the red andcap the red wire and abandone that switch. Now you have black, white and green from the ceiling box and they go Black ceiling to blach receiver, white to white and green to green. Coming out of the receiver will be white (common neutral for everything) Blue which is hot for light and black which is hot for fan. Following along so far, any questions?
    pkawalilak Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 10:39 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Yes, I am following along, but capping the red wire and black to black/white to white/green ground gives no fan and no light ! Wires coming out of receiver are black/white, red and white; as per the manual these are wired to the "fan" wires as black/white to black/white; black from fan to red on receiver and white to white. Does it matter that the "light" on the fan will be in circuit with two other lights ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 16, 2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the negative rating and thanks for not reading what I wrote. Where did I say "black to black/white " That would be a dead short. And where did the other 2 lights come from, you never bothered to mention them. We are done now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling box has six wires. Need to connect to three wire ceiling light. [ 6 Answers ]

Replacing the ceiling fan/light with a ceiling light. The ceiling box has two sets of wires. One set has a yellow wire, white wire and black wire. The second set has a green wire, white wire and black wire. The ceiling fixture I am trying to attach has only three wires. Which wires do I attach?...

Ceiling fan has 3 wires white, blue, black to remote control [ 1 Answers ]

AC Supply has three wires: Black, White and Red to Ceiling Fan. Want to connect Harbor Breeze Remote Control, which has White and Black AC. Connecting Black to Black, white to white, and blue to blue to the fan. Where do we connect the Red AC line to?

Installing Ceiling Fan Wall Remote with Red & Black Wires? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay Wall Remote Control that transmits a signal to a receiver that I will install behind the Ceiling Fan assembly. Problem: Remote instructions state to connect the 2 Black wires from the wall switch to the new Remote switch. The wall switch has a Red and a...

View more questions Search