Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anthony_ Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
    German Shepherd Ears
    Hello, we have an 8 month old female GSD. Unlike most GSD's her age, her ears are not pointing straight up. Sometimes when someone knocks on the door or when she is listening one ear will pop up straight, but most of the time they are halfway up, with the tip flopping down. Is there anything we can do to help her get them upright? I have heard taping popsicle sticks to her ears would help, we just didn't want to put her through that discomfort. Any ideas? Thanks you all in advance, this is a great site.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
    If they aren't up by now, they may not come up. Talk to your vet. I have heard of surgery. I wouldn't worry about not haven't done anything before this because aside from the correct diet, I don't know if anything makes much difference.

Puppy chows, even large breed puppy chows, are carefully formulated for fast growth. They actually have too much calcium which interferes with the body using what it needs. The ears are a minor problem compared to bad hips and other weak joints resulting from growth the underdeveloped joints are not able to support. The best thing is a switch to an adult chow at 4 months. If she is still on a puppy chow, I would switch now. Make the switch over about a week.

Jan 30, 2007, 08:05 PM
    We were thinking it was time to switch to adult chow. She has been on puppy chow ever since. We never thought to switch at 4 months, though.

I agree, the ears are a minor problem compared to bad hips and such. Thanks labman.
    argonne01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_
    Hello, we have an 8 month old female GSD. Unlike most GSD's her age, her ears are not pointing straight up. Sometimes when someone knocks on the door or when she is listening one ear will pop up straight, but most of the time they are halfway up, with the tip flopping down. Is there anything we can do to help her get them upright? I have heard taping popsicle sticks to her ears would help, we just didn't want to put her through that discomfort. Any ideas? Thanks you all in advance, this is a great site.
    Hi. If there is no fundamental medical problem causing the ear to be down, you might try the following technique, given to me by my breeder. It worked ! At 6 months, one of my dog's ears had not come up. You take a soft foam curler, like the Goody brand pink curlers. Using just the soft foam piece and some skin save adhesive, adhere the curler into the ear, being careful to keep it high enough so as not to block the ear from hearing or getting air through. This supports the ear until the dog's muscles can develop around it and support it forever. The curler does not seem to bother the dogs and when it falls out on its own (a few weeks) the ear should be erect. It worked for me anyway. Take care to keep it dry, so as to avoid any infection. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
    It worked? Do you have any proof the ear wouldn't have come up on its own?
    liverpool75 Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Hi mate I'm having the same problem its good to hear I'm not the only 1 with a german shepherd who's ears aren't pointed up,trust me I tried the lollypop trick it doesn't work if you find out anything please let me know thanks mate best of luck

May 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
    I did happen to find this website, that gave me a lot of hope. I think it was too late for us though, she was already 10 months and we were having a hard time keeping them taped. If you are really determined and your gsd is not too old, apparently it may work. Also if the dog is teething, wait until it is done and see if they stand up by themselves. The website is here:
    Taping Ears in Dogs - German Shepherds Ears Good luck!
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
    I don't consider Leerburg a reliable site. People have posted links to them in the past, and I disagree with much of what they say. It is one more source of dog disinformation on the net. I just skimmed through the page on the ears and quit when I came to the suggestion of giving a calcium pill every day. That is one of the worst things you can do for a growing German Shepherd. The dog guide school I volunteer for forbids giving calcium supplements to their dogs. They have far more experience in producing sturdy dogs than Leerburg. A long, active life is one of their important goals. All the German Shepherds they breed are monitored their first year and then X-Rayed at the end of it. The few that wouldn't be rated OFA good are dropped from the program and given away. The school stays in touch with most of the rest that graduate through their working life. When they are no longer able to work, the school replaces them for free. They can't afford messing up dogs joints by upsetting the careful balanced diet the Pro Plan they feed provides by allowing people to give calcium supplements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

Help something is wrong with my German Shepherd [ 2 Answers ]

Samathia is my baby. I bought her from a VERY bad breeder, I know that is a lot of the problem. She will be 2 years old in May. She can't get on my bed without crying. Her hind legs hardly work. I know this can be caused by hip dysplasia(?) I give her gluclose, but it doesn't seem to work....

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

German Shepherd Training [ 8 Answers ]

I have a German Shepherd pup who like most German Shepherds is very intelligent. I am in the process of training her and I have run into some problems. It seems she get's a little nervous while working and then get's confused and want's to hide or run in circles with her ears back. She is never...

View more questions Search