Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suorkmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 08:04 AM
    How do I lighten my hair that I colored too dark?
    I dyed my hair with Nice and Easy natural darkest black. My hair was just one shade lighter before but it turned out black! I used One and Only Colorfix and then re-dyed it a medium brown shade and it came out too dark again. The worst part is that I have pretty long hair and missed a few spots with the color so now it is too dark and uneven. I really don't have the money to go to a salon. Will Sun-in lighten it enough? I just want to go back to my original color which is a light ash brown. I have tried the Prell shampoo and the hot oil treatment and it didn't lighten it at all. Are there any other tips. Will I ever get my hair lighter with out bleaching it?
    ScarletSea Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Dec 26, 2008, 05:35 AM

Hmmm... Im not sure. Im afraid you may have to eventually bleach it.
    My hair was really dark brown almost black and all I used was semi perminant and it didn't come out atoll. So I bleached it, it went orange so I put light brown over the top and it's a nice colour now.
    I would probably use 12% peroxide and leave it on until it goes orange then dye over it with a mid neutral brown nice and easy.
    Hope I've helped a bit :]
    ingrid119 Posts: 63, Reputation: 9

Dec 26, 2008, 06:01 AM

Well if it's a semi-permanent you can do what I did and wash it a dozen times (shampoo and conditioner not for color treated hair and preferabley not a moisturizing one).
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by suorkmommy View Post
    Will Sun-in lighten it enough?
    No. Sun-in will only work on virgin hair (undyed). Sun-in is simply a weak peroxide solution and since you used a stronger peroxide (developer) to put the color into the hair, it makes no sense to think that it would take it out (and it won't).

I'm afraid I can't agree with the opinions expressed above. You won't have to bleach it (unless you want to). You have many, many options to lighten it that are much less damaging than bleach. You said you used Nice 'n Easy, so it's not a semi-permanent (though ingrid119 is correct that shampooing frequently will cause it to fade -- even though it's a permanent). Beauty Expert is correct that haircoloring alone won't lighten it -- but you know about ColorFix.

Why did you dye your hair black if you want it light ash brown? I suspect that you wanted something "different".

If your hair is so porous that it's "grabbing" color, then it will fade -- and probably within a few days. You can also "spot tint" the uneven areas.

You can try ColorFix again. Then, when you dye your hair again, recognize that your hair seems to be particularly porous and use a much lighter color -- and stay away from black. Do a strand test to make sure of the color you'll get.

Also, realize that all this will damage your hair -- at least make it dry. You may not be able to do many more chemical processes without risking breakage.
    G383 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 23, 2009, 12:17 PM

I have had the same problem, and tried the same things you did. Using an at home color stripping kit is not the way to go. Not only did it destroy my scalp and make it burn for three days (and I do not have a sensitive scalp at all), but it turned my hair completely orange.

Sun-in won't fix something like this, as was written above, it only works on un-dyed "virgin" hair. You could wait a little while, and tough out the darkness and uneveness, maybe a few months--and when the color fades try a lighter shade (when coloring at home always use a color that is one or two shades lighter than the result you want).

Otherwise, you will probably HAVE to go to a salon. Even going somewhere like hair cuttery--where color is inexpensive (a full color starts at $35), should be able to fix this problem.
    no gray on me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Wear your hair up in a bun or ponytail and let the color fade with time. You don't want to cause anymore drying out because your hair is long.
    solowty987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
    One thing you could do that would be as bad as bleaching it is to mix dry laundry detergent and your shampoo and wet lather and reapeat and it shuld lighten your hair but it will be dry after. Plus it won't make your hair orange so I hope this helped
    Rachelle_mo_mo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 07:11 PM
    This may seem really weird but actully lemons and lime work they have a special chemical or acid in them that can lighten the pigment of your hair I found this out when people tried this to lighten there pigment of their skin it actully works , self experienced try it shouldn't effect your hair too much it won't cause much damage :)
    Sheila412012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 06:07 AM
    I dyed my hair medium brown and it turned black how can I get it lighter
    shook2425 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
    I dyed my hair a dark auburn and my hair turned black! I am in my 60's and it made me look very hard. I tried all the things like dishsoap, prell, and lemon juice but it didn't lighten at all. Today I bought a product called "Color Opps" I followed the directions to the tee and the color came right out. I even colored my hair a med. Brown the same day, and it looks so much softer. I would recommend this to anyone. Just make sure you condition like it said to do. My hair feels soft. The web site for this product is, www.developlus.com, I bought it a Walmart. Be sure when you dye your hair after to pick a shade lighter than you want because your hair will grab the color.
    So happy I found this product.
    grishamlp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 07:20 AM
    I do this often for some silly reason. Just add Hydrogen peroxide with your shampoo and condition really good afterwards. It seems to lighten a shade and tone down the black.
    ruth metcalfe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Same thing with my teenage daughter she coloured hers dark brown and wants it light brown, we went the salon to ask about getting it stripped out then to get it light brown they said they didn't like doing that because its bleach which can snap the hair and make it dry, so they suggested using fairy wash up liquid or head an shoulders this helps to strip out colour gradually then for her to have trims cutting it out in layers gradually so we shall try this.
    kaylaw89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
    Hi people I have worked in a salon for some time now. Do not bleach your hair to get it lighter its too much stress for your hair. Some times if it's a build up black the best thing to do is grow it out as it will take this long anyway trying to get it blonde with highlights, if you want your hair a shade lighter lemons are popular and can work for some. Mix with a little of conditioner and leave for a hr and a half until rinsing, borax is fab but can only get this now in some places its on old soap. eBay sell it and its very cheap mix one tea spoon with your shampoo but use a strong conditioner after. Boots sell colourB4 which strips your hair with no bleach in it. If you want to go just a shade or two light it works almost every time but you must buy a colour to put on it after. Remember the shade chart works 10 is blonde and 1 is black so for the in colour of light chocolate pick up a 3 to a 4 this is the number in the corner of the box.dont go by the picture.you will find it will have 4 or 4.3, 4.23 etc the number after the 4 is the colour added to the base like a red to give it a worm tone. I recommend you look into this before buying next time. There is plenty of shade charts on line. As most home colours do intend to be a shade darker than salon. Good luck
    ihatehair123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 11:17 AM
    I died my hair brown and it came out black, and now I'm scared to go to school cause of what people will think! How do I get the black out instantly! Please help
    kezzr123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Im studying hair dressing and you will find that once u bleach your hair it will go all dry and feel like chewing gum which you prob don't want... Best thing would b to probrablly go to a salon and get it stripped then put bleach on it and do lots of conditioning treatments to help your hair get into a better condition.. :)
    JDoria98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
    Does this "Color Oops" product take all the hair dye you just put in out? Or does it take everything out? So if I have blondish brown hair and I want to dye it a golden blonde with platnium blonde highlights, it will make my hair so light that I can dye it that color?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding dark streaks to colored blonde hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have colored my hair blonde w/ hi-light kits as well as a frost kit.. my roots are growing out and I want to add some darker streaks to my hair, red or brown or both! How do I go about this or is there even a way for me to do this at home? I would like to do it myself, but I have no...

Colored hair and it turned too dark with a lot of red [ 2 Answers ]

We need help. My husband had his hair colored and it turned dark brown with a lot of red. How can we lighten the hair and get the red out? Beth

I recently got my colored my hair to a dark brown [ 3 Answers ]

Well I just recently went to a salon and wanted to color my hair, my hair is naturally a dark blonde/light brown hair color but I had light blonde highlites all over my head and so ia sked my hait stylist if he could dye my hair a light brown so it could be the closest possible hair colour to my...

View more questions Search