Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tomshu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 11:10 AM
    Why is the cold water line not filling my hot water tank ?
    The cold water supply valve to the water heater is open, but no water is flowing. I opened the drain valve on the heater and no water came out. Obviously it hasn't been filling for the past few days. I have plenty of cold water at all my faucets. I have shut off the breaker.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2011, 11:18 AM
    If it is a gate valve, the disc could have separated and even in the open position will not allow water to flow. Turn off the house water, release the pressure and try to take the valve apart. See if the valve is actually open.

Feb 2, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    So the valve immediately located at my water heater could have failed, even though it has been open for years and untouched? Do I just need to replace the insert part and are these parts standard?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2011, 04:17 PM
    You mentioned no water out of the drain. When did you flush the heater last? To plug a 3/4" fill line takes a lot of debris. Are you on a well? Rust in the water? Copper or galvanized fitting after the valve? Have a filter on the tank line? For the disc to come off without opening or closing would be a little strange. I would close the valve and try to open it again. One indication of a disc off is that you won't be able to shut the water down since the thread on the handle hits the disc. You will need to do a little more snooping, particularly since you have CW. Any chance the CW feed line to the heater is frozen?

Feb 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Flush not prob. Copper lines & fittings o.k. I have city water. The heater is at the end of water line inside house 7" from exterior wall with an outdoor faucet at the very end. Frozen? Possible... was cold as hell yesterday & today in N.Texas

Feb 4, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Turns out line was frozen past the gate valve so water pressure could not force hot water out. I opened the closet door where water heater is located, allowing the heat from home to penetrate walls & defrost pipes. Hot water restored!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain hot water tank before doing work on cold water supply line? [ 15 Answers ]

I need to install a vacuum relief valve on the cold water supply line for my hot water tank. I know where to install it but I was just wondering what I need to do before doing the work (obviously turn off the water to the house), but do I need turn off the power (its electric) to the hot water...

Water in wc tank not filling to recommended line [ 1 Answers ]

I have a flush toilet which is not sucking down waste as it should. After looking at the filling tank I've noticed that the wayter don't fill up to recommened water line. It stops roughly 2 1/2 under it. Ive held down the float arm to let water rise and then flushed and it seemed to be a lot better...

Cold water tank not filling [ 1 Answers ]

My cold water tank in the loft is not filling so my hot water tank has now run out. The taps are working fine as they are supplied through mains pipe (so not a problem with the supply to house, I double checked the stopcock and even turned it up a little to increase the pressure). I have read on...

New Hot Water Heater Wire Panel Filling With Water From Tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new electric hot water heater. I have connected all the wires properly, I have connected the piping in the correct manner, and filled the tank. I was about to flip my breaker to turn the water heater on, and noticed a little moister around the panel that the wires come...

Cold water tank continuously filling [ 3 Answers ]

Please help.. The water tank is continuously filling... however, Its not overflowing. As a result I have no hot water. A friend has looked at the tank in the attic, and has said that water is continuously entering the tank, and therefore there must be a leek in the pipes. There is no sign of...

View more questions Search