Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syou Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Forwarding Address
    Hi,

I need to sue previous tenants at my property for unpaid rent/utilities and damages, but they have moved out and they did not give me a forwarding address. How do I obtain that from the USPS? I tried to call the USPS and they say they need something from the court saying they can release that info. I called the district court civil department and they said they can't help or provide anything that I can provide to the post office.

Any help in how I can obtain their forwarding address would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Hello syou:

Sure. Send an empty envelope with your return address and first class postage. Print a little note under the stamp "Address correction requested". You should get something back from the post office.

excon

PS> Of course, you could always send your summons certified, return receipt requested. They'll forward it to them, and who knows, they might sign for it.

Jan 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
    They're known not to accept certified letters (I've tried this before), so I definitely need to have them served by the sheriff in person.

Can you clarify the first option - who should I address the envelope to? Do you mean I should put their name and the last known address for them?

Also, is this the only way to do this? I was hoping for something with a faster turn around (I need to submit papers to court on thursday).

Thanks a lot

Ps - I do have the lady's work address, however it's not in the same county where I'm sueing them and she only works there part time. Can I use that address for BOTH of them (husband/wife) and note the days she can be served? Would she even be able to sign for the husband?
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Hello again, syou:

Yup. Address it to them. Faster?? My dear, this secret that I passed on to you is known by 47 people in the entire world (48 now if we count you).

It's good, and pretty fast - but it ain't going to happen by Thursday.

excon

Jan 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Thanks excon :-)

I edited my previous response at the same time you answered me, so you probably didn't see my PS. See below.

I do have the lady's work address, however it's not in the same county where I'm sueing them and she only works there part time. Can I use that address for BOTH of them (husband/wife) and note the days she can be served? Would she even be able to sign for the husband?

Thanks again
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Hello again, syou:

You should be suing them BOTH. If she's the only one served, then she's the one who has to be in court. If you win, you win a judgment against HIM too. But, if you know where the wife works, she's even better. At least you'll be able to collect on the judgment.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 04:34 PM
    I am not sure about where you live but here you go in person to the post office and pay a dollar fee and they give you the forwarding address.

Do it for my renters all the time.

Jan 29, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, syou:

You should be suing them BOTH. If she's the only one served, then she's the one who has to be in court. If you win, you win a judgment against HIM too. But, if you know where the wife works, she's even better. At least you'll be able to collect on the judgment.

excon

Thanks excon. I plan to sue both, but I only have the wife's work address. What I am not sure about is whether I can put down the wife's work address for both of them. i.e. they would both be served at the wife's work address. Can the wife accept/sign the papers she's served on behalf of her husband along with accepting/signing the copy in her name? Am I making sense?
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Hello again:

You're making it more difficult than it is. Sue them both. Use the address you have. Serve the wife. See them in court. Done deal.

Nobody accepts or signs summons's. The process server just hands the papers to them.

Read what I said, and consider the following fact: A husband and wife, for legal purposes, are a unit. You don't have to serve the husband. If you serve one, you serve them both. The husband doesn't even have to go to court. If you win against the wife, you win against the husband too. Best of all you get to COLLECT against them both - and you know where she works.

excon

Jan 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Got it - finally :-)

Thanks A lot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search