Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Toilet Drains slow
    A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and took it out. I tried the auger and made sure that the auger was getting all the way through the trap, and it was. There did not seem to be an obstruction in the toilet. So, I looked down the pipe where the toilet connected and there was no water and no obstruction that I could see. Nothing else in the house drains slowly, just this one toilet. Any suggestions? In the restroom with the slow toilet we have a shower, tub, and two sinks, none of which drain slow.

Thanks for any advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 13, 2005, 04:49 PM
    Toilet Drains slow
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle
    A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and took it out. I tried the auger and made sure that the auger was getting all the way through the trap, and it was. There did not seem to be an obstruction in the toilet. So, I looked down the pipe where the toilet connected and there was no water and no obstruction that I could see. Nothing else in the house drains slowly, just this one toilet. Any suggestions? In the restroom with the slow toilet we have a shower, tub, and two sinks, none of which drain slow.

Thanks for any advice.
    Hey Kyle,
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. If you still have a problem just click on back. Regards, Tom

Apr 13, 2005, 05:20 PM
    Thanks Tom! There is not jet at the bottom of the bowl. However, I have noticed that if I hold the lever for a little longer it is more likely to flush correctly. If I hold the lever down for about 2-3 seconds it will flush, but seems like it is using more water. I checked the water level in the tank and it is about .5 inch below the fill tube top. It almost seems like the flapper in the tank closes to fast. If I dump about 1.6 gallons from a bucket into the bowl it will flush correctly. Any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle
    Thanks Tom! There is not jet at the bottom of the bowl. However, I have noticed that if I hold the lever for a little longer it is more likely to flush correctly. If I hold the lever down for about 2-3 seconds it will flush, but seems like it is using more water. I checked the water level in the tank and it is about .5 inch below the fill tube top. It almost seems like the flapper in the tank closes to fast. If I dump about 1.6 gallons from a bucket into the bowl it will flush correctly. Any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit until I have the desired play in the linkage. Let me know if this works. Tom

Apr 14, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. Let me know if this works. Tom

Thanks again Tom. I adjusted the linkage and still have the same problem. I have the same toilet in another RR in the house so I measured how much water empties out of the tank in each when I flush. They both let the same amount out but the one still does not flush. If I hold the lever for 3 seconds and more water empties from the tank, it will flush. It almost seems like it takes more water to get the siphon going. Kyle
    Dougzilla Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 12:44 PM
    I have the same problem as you Kyle, except I've done even more than you. I've replaced the complete toilet... twice. Used Drano and also snaked the drain to a length of 25ft with the toilet removed! I hope somebody can come up with a solution, I'm at my wits end. DougP.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 01:16 PM

Doudzilla,

You need to open a new post, this is 5 years old, Thanks.

John
    SEADOG1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 10:52 PM
    Home depot has an adjustable flapper set to max that will fix your problem
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 12:06 AM

Seadog111
    Did you not read afroo's post? A year ago he pointed out that this was a five year old post. It is now six years old.

Drops the caps, all caps on the internet is considered shouting.

By the way, you advice is totally incorrect.
    MostThankful Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Wow! Your answer to the slow draining toilet and the hole being clogged up was RIGHT ON! My husband spent Saturday snaking out our sewer line thinking THAT was the problem, even though no other sink, shower or toilet in the house was draining slowly. I asked him to check articles on the internet to see if maybe the toilet itself could be the problem before he left to to buy a new ring to replace the one he planned to destroy when he took the toilet off to try to find an obstruction somewhere down inside the drain from the toilet. He found your answer about an obstruction (which it turned out was caused by a blue cakelike toilet bowl cleaner, that never did ANYTHING other than turn the water blue). Sure enough! After spending a half an hour cleaning out that 'blue crap' that was clogging up the hole you suggested might be clogged, the toilet is NOW draining properly :) THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is one of the cheapest, easiest, most rewarding 'fixes' this house has EVER experienced :)
    MostThankful Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
    By the way. Our clogged hole wasn't at the bottom of the bowl like in the front bathroom. I found it on the top, in the front of the bowl. Your suggestion still worked like a dream :) Thank you AGAIN :)
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2012, 06:34 AM
    You're welcome and thanks for the update. If we can ever be of service in the future we're as close as a click. Regards, Tom
    sajaguilar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Was this blue stuff clogging was on the toilet bowl ring or the hole on the tank?
    Toilet bowl ring! Would that be the wax seal or the bowls rim. If you're asking where the "blue stuff" it was in the tank.
    It's time to close this thread. Tom
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2012, 06:00 AM
    It was in the tank.
    cloghin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Very helpful. Fixed my problem as well. Thanks Tom!!
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Hi cloghin and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    Happy we could help and thank you for the update. Tom
    cdoyle79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2013, 08:24 PM
    I wanted to say thank you Tom, have been dealing with the same problem and through I had tried everything short of replacing my toilet and calling a plumber. After reading this post I went to the garage, grabbed some 220 grit sandpapper and went to town on anything that looked like a hole. After about 5 min of scrubing not only was it flushing perfect but also the ring I couldn't get rid of is gone... Thank you very much!

Chris
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2013, 08:18 AM
    You're welcome very much and thanks for the update. Have a happy new year. Tom
    Tica Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Hey, a slow toilet problem is timeless. It is 2/17/2013 and I've just developed the problem. However, my slow toilet has little bubbles that come up while it doesn't flush. Then the water slowly drains out and takes more than it should with it, leaving very little water in the bottom of the toilet. It is as if the siphon action that dumps the water out isn't cut short like it should be. I'll check the little hole situation a bit farther and see if that isn't my problem.
    Thanks,
    N
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Hi Tica

The holes will not be the problem here... ;)

It sounds like your toilet is clogged and it slowly drains out creating a siphon as you said... usually finishes with a "blub blub" at the end.

I'd try using a plunger to clear the blockage to start... see if that helps. Getting good suction and then pulling up gets the best results. Do this when the water is at its highest in the bowl.

If that failed to work then I would suggest that you go purchase a closet auger tool and snake through the toilet itself... should clear the issue.

If that failed to fix the toilet then the toilet may need to be lifted and the drain line itself may need to be cleared/snaked.

Post back with results, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help! My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it...

Bathtub drains slow or not at all [ 9 Answers ]

My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap...

Toilet Drains Slow in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. My toilet in the basement will not flush if a moderate amount of water has been used. Example is if me and my significant both take a shower and I do a load of laundry the toilet will not flush. It fills to the rim and then slowly drains. I have had the sewer line cleaned out to...

Whirlpool bath drains slow [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and have a new whirlpool bathtub for the first time, but no owner's manual. After a month or so of living, the water is draining slower and I need to clean the hair out of the filter/trap. The drain plug just pushes down to close draining or pushes up to open. I can't...

View more questions Search