Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zens23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 06:39 PM
    How did my paternity come back negative then positive?
    I'm 23 and my partner is a 50yr old man he took a dna sample from our 3month baby he got it online from a company called whoz the daddy the results come bk negative but their rong I have not had sex with no one I spoke to an adviser from the company they said theirs 5 parts that make up dna and 3 of these didn't match how can this happen when I no its rong
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 06:47 PM

Online companies aren't reliable.

If the 50 year old man questions paternity, go through legitimate channels to get a DNA test done.

Obviously he has doubts. If he's denying that your child is his, then go through the courts to determine DNA.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2011, 06:58 PM
    What does it say at the bottom of the test results?
    The website shows a sample page sent to you.

Part of it how to explain results:
    Fifteen different loci are used as genetic markers in the tests, as well as one (Amelogenin) to confirm the gender of the person providing the sample. If the alleged father does not have the matching allele at every tested locus, then he usually cannot be the biological parent. If he does have it, then he could be the father. A "relationship index" (called the "Direct Index" in the report) for each locus is calculated based on information including the portion of the male population that has the obligate paternal allele at that locus. This index is reported for each DNA locus.

A combined relationship (or "Direct") index for all of the tested alleles is then calculated and appears below the chart. This number is used to calculate the "probability of relationship," which is the percentage likelihood that a man with the alleles of the alleged father is the biological parent of the child, as compared to an untested, unrelated man of the same race. If the DNA of the alleged father is consistent (to a degree of mathematical certainty) with that of the child, then the report will conclude that the alleged father cannot be excluded as the biological father of the child. If the DNA is not consistent however, it will conclude that the alleged father can be excluded as the biological father of the child.

If that is difficult to read, just read the last 2 sentences about cannot and can be excluded as the father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 07:11 PM

Online companies are far from reliable and can not be used in court if he was. Next did you see him give his sample, and make sure he did not tamper with it ?
    zens23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 07:23 PM
    Thank you for your advise what I need is some examples of how and if any 1 else had a nagative dna test done but really its positive
    Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 07:34 PM

The lab results are not reliable, ( lab messes up) that is how it happens. And is why they are not able to be used in court ( among other reasons.

If you want a real test, you need to go to court and file for support and ask for a court order and a court ordered DNA test.

Trying to "prove" why a test that is not always right, was wrong is a waste of time.
    Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 07:37 PM

Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 2, 2011, 04:32 AM
    You didn't answer my question. What does the report SAY at the bottom about probability?
    Does he have the results and isn't showing them to you, or are you finding them too difficult to read?

That company does do certified court usable testing (which is exactly the same but requires documentation and that you provide samples in person).

As someone suggested, the man could have cheated...
    But most likely the results are inconclusive.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2011, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zens23 View Post
    thank u for ur advise what i need is some examples of how and if any 1 else had a nagative dna test done but really its positive
    You aren't listening to what you have been told. DNA samples have to be taken under controlled circumstances. No court is going to accept the results of an online test to determine paternity. So basically you should not care about what the results of this test were. They will not stand up in court. You do not need such examples because they do not matter.

Why did he take such a test? Are you applying for child support. Does he deny the child is his? For us to help further we need to know what is behind this. You refer to him as your "partner", but how long have you been together? I gather you aren't married.

You asked a very specific question, but you need to understand that you are asking the wrong question. There are many reasons a paternity test might be falsely negative. If you are positive that you did not have sex with anyone else around the time you conceived then your question should be about the legality and accuracy of the test that was performed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a couple who both o positive have 1 o negative and 1 o positive baby [ 1 Answers ]

I am o negative and so is my ex husband we have 2 children together my little boy is o positive but my little girl is o negative is that possible please really need an answer because my ex isn't claiming her because his wife says there's no way she's his because of her blood type and I never...

6 positive results 1 negative? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I found out I'm pregnant on Monday I'm so happy I think I'm about 6 weeks and I've done 6 hme tests using different ones and I went doctors and they said it was negative so I went back day after and demand a blood test but I'm very tired 14 days late sore nipples and bit of cramps but I've had 2...

'Breaks' positive or negative? [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this board.. I guess I'm just reaching out to something. I appriciate that this question will have been asked thousands of times, and a lot of people will be sick of looking at them. So if you feel you want to redirect me to a thread which may help, please do. I've been...

Is it positive or negative? [ 3 Answers ]

I took a pregnancy test yesterday. It was negative. Something told me to look at it again this morning and it had a very tainted yellow line next to the very bright pink line. I read in an article that a test is only correct up to 10 min otherwise it evaporates and the results may change. Let me...

Is it a positive or a negative? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I took a test today and the results said negative so I put it or the counter and walked away for a couple of hours when I came back it had a very light blue plus so does this mean a negative or a positive? I'm so confussed:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search