Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Selkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Strong odor coming from heating vent - after duct replacement for previous odor.
    I have a strong odor coming from one of my heating vents. This occurred for the first time (in the 5 years I've lived here) last year (in mid-February, as opposed to late January - coincidental?). At that time, I had a heating duct replaced. The old duct was wet inside, and the HVAC tech said the odor was coming from the water in the duct. The techs saw no sign of animals under the house or in the duct; no leaking pipes or areas of standing water were observed. With the new duct, the odor went away. Just this week, the problem recurred in the same vent (the duct serves only this vent). Rather than replace the duct again, I want to discover and address the source of the water in the duct. I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where the air is cool and moist. I tend to keep my house cool (59 at night, low 60's during day, mid to high 60's in evening). My heating system includes AC, which I haven't used in 3 years, and then only for a few days during a hot spell. I assume the water in the vent is coming from condensation, but am not sure how that happens. What can I do to solve the moisture problem before I replace the duct again? The contractor who installed the new duct is coming out to look at it this week, but seemed surprised to learn that I'm having the same issue and didn't want to speculate as to why when we spoke on the phone. The odor is sickening. I have the vent closed and covered over, but still smell it - just not as strong as when it's open. While it rained yesterday, the smell came back a few days ago, when there hadn't been rain for about 10 days. I appreciate any insights you may offer.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
    'Sickening' to me is dead mice or birds. At first it's a sweetish smell but gets so bad you want to vomit. But it can also be urine and feces, not so sickening but still bad.
    Sewage gas smells like rotten eggs, sulfur.
    Standing water should smell musty.
    Despite what they said, I go with dead animals, on some annual cycle.
    I've watched guys doing demolition and not even notice dead mice falling out all over the place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strong odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed in the last few days that there has been a thin but clumpy discharge coming from my vagina and it has a strong foul odor. I have had intercourse but it was both our first times doing it. We have no had sex either. I have also used summer eve's wipes to try and block the smell but it...

Foul odor coming from overhead heating vent [ 3 Answers ]

We had our heat and air ducts moved to overhead because the ones in the floor were rusted out. This was about six years ago. Starting about 18 months to 2 years ago we have noticed a bad odor (smells to us like dead animal only not that strong) coming from only one overhead vent. This happens...

My girl has a strong odor from her vagina and blood was coming out [ 1 Answers ]

Yes me and my girl was sleep in bed when I woke up to use the bathroom I notice a strong odor from her and when she woke up there was blood on the sheets... remind you we did not have sex for 2days and she is not on her period... can you help me out because I am worried about her

Vent duct work odor [ 3 Answers ]

We have moved over the past 2 months and our previous house is for sale. Over the past 2 months potential buyers have complained about a horrible smell as they proceed up stairs to a finished attic (1000 ft of living space). I have isolated the smell to a back room with ceiling duct work and...

Odor in Heating Vent [ 2 Answers ]

My little boy is potty training and decided to urinate in the heating vent in his bedroom. I have washed it out with disinfectant and put baking soda in there to get rid of the smell, but it seems to be getting worse. Any ideas?

View more questions Search