Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Nov 28, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Problems with my Mother
    I'm in need of an unbiased opinion. I've been unhappy with the decisions my Mother's been making lately, mostly because I don't think she thinks about others when she makes them.

One of the major problems has been her new boyfriend. She met him on an online game (Everquest?). The first night she met him he stayed over at the house and has been living there ever since. I had already moved out but my younger brother was still there. I felt that she put him in an awkward situation that he shouldn't have had to deal with. My brother has expressed to me that he really hates the boyfriend. This guy is nice enough but he spends the majority of his time on the computer and pretty much is a pile of stereotypical, opinionated white trash. My mother is head over heels for this guy and can't comprehend the concept that no one else in the family is too crazy about him.

Most recently, I haven't been wanting to stay at the house for the holidays because it's really dirty. Dog hair everywhere, sticky floors, it's hard for me to sit there for a long time. I want to spend time with my mom but I don't want to sit in a gross house. I told my mom that I didn't feel comfortable in the house with it being dirty and she got really offended (duh!) and pretty much said this is the way I live so deal with it.

I'm sick of dealing with it! I grew up in the mess and now that I live in a clean house I don't want to be that person anymore. I love spending time with my mom, but I walk out of that house dirtier than when I came in. What do I do?
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2010, 03:02 PM

I would call her up and invite HER out to dinner. Spend time with her without having to put yourself in situation of having to be in her dirty house. I would call ahead and let your brother know he is also invited or let him know that you just want some time with mom by yourself so he doesn't feel left out.

About mom's boyfriend, well its her relationship, and even if you don't really like him, its her business.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 09:34 AM
    I'm not so sure what the problem here is.

If her house was as spotless as yours, would you still consider her boyfriend, as you said, "pretty much is a pile of stereotypical, opinionated white trash" and not visit anyway, because he's there?

Or is it the dirty house, and the stereotypical, opinionated white trash boyfriend, at the same time, is just too much to handle.

And what's with judging another human being in such a derrogatory, discriminatory, disrespectful way in the first place. If he were black, would you also casually label him 'a stereotypical, opinionated black boyfriend?' It is no more palatable in my opinion, to label any human being in this way. And, why do you feel you need to interject your assessment to your mother in the first place. Have you decided that she would be happier without him? I guess she disagrees.

Simple answer is, keep your opinions to yourself, and don't visit. Or, visit with a mop and pail in hand, and offer to clean her house yourself.

Nov 30, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Comment on Jake2008's post
    For someone so open-minded and kind like you it seems strange that you'll instantly label me as a racist, assume that I have done nothing to help and degrade me without knowing anything about me.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2010, 03:45 PM

I like the idea of taking her out to dinner or lunch and tell her you want it to just be the two of you. Perhaps you can speak to her about your concerns for your brother in a non-judgmental way. Like, "Mom, I do recognize that you really like this guy and that he's filling a need in your life, and I agree you deserve that. I'm just worried about my brother and how uncomfortable he is with someone moving in who he doesn't even know. Have you talked to him about his feelings about this situation - it's a lot to take in for a kid." This way you're not saying, "he's a jerk, he has to go, you're selfish" but rather are focusing on her needs and your brother's needs.

As for the dirty house, perhaps you can offer to help her clean, and get your brother involved as well. Sometimes people are overwhelmed by the conditions of their homes and need some help, offered without judgement. Like, "Mom, I know how busy you are and how hard you work - would you feel offended if I came over and cleaned the house for you? It's something I'd like to do for all the things you've done for me." Count on her no maintaining it, but perhaps your brother can learn to do more to maintain a nice place if it doesn't start so out of hand.

Otherwise, she's going to live her way and you might as well find something to get along about, as your input may not make a difference and may not be welcome.

Spend more time with your brother, too. Invite him to your place so he can have a nice meal, at a table, and get a glimpse of the life he can have when he's old enough to become independent and run his own life as you are doing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 08:32 PM

I guess first,

Who she dates is really none of your business and you need to either accept him or butt out of it. Parents are people, and they have the right to meet others and be happy if a past relationship has failed.

Also meeting on line is a very common way to meet people, In fact 12 years ago, I meet my now wife on a online game site.

Now the fact that they moved in together right away, means that perhaps they were chatting on line for a longer time and felt they knew each other enough. Or perhaps even dated some without you knowing it before.
    Or perhaps your mom is impulsive.

The dirty house, sounds like it was always that way before, so you expected it to change (?? ) why?

Jan 28, 2011, 05:07 PM
    Comment on dontknownuthin's post
    Thank you for giving advice rather than criticizing me. I'm definitely going to make an effort to make sure that when I'm trying to point something out to her, that I'm not degrading her in the process.

Jan 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    It's not that they met online, but the fact that he slept in the house the first night they met in person. If my brother wasn't there, I wouldn't have cared. I'm not going to sit in filth, which means that I see my mom a lot less. That upsets me.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2011, 12:04 PM

I don't really agree with the take that it's none of your business. Our families are our business, and given that you are an adult concerned about your minor brother, I do think it's appropriate for you to try to do what you can. At the same time, it is correct that you can't choose who your mother likes or live her life for her. I guess the line where I think you can get involved is when an adult creates a totally inappropriate situation for a minor, and that minor has no options to get out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Future Wife and Mother Problems... Help [ 4 Answers ]

This issue has been going on much to long and would like some external help and advice. Your help is appreciated and thanks in advance. My fiancée and myself are both in our late 20's and have been dating for over 6 years. We are engaged and getting married in a few months. Over the last half...

Mother-in-law problems [ 2 Answers ]

My mother-in-law is a sweet person for everyone in my husbands home.. I first I too thought she is true to me & my husband.but came to know later that she makes every plan for her wish to come true.from childhood my husband's only mantra is his mother's words.. he never goes against... after...

Mother problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm nearly 20, living at home while I'm at uni, working casually to pay my uni bills and other expenses. My mum and I have never been close, I have always felt like my little sister is the favourite child. As kids I was always getting into trouble as my sister went through a very long...

Mother in law problems does she have rights! [ 1 Answers ]

:( ::mad: :confused: I have problems with my mother in law I can't stand her nomore and my husband agrees with me he can't stand her either. I have done everything I can to please her all the holidays were spend with her and now that I want to spend the thanksgiving with my side of family she gets...

Problems with mother in law [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know how to deal with a mother in law who hasn't untied the apron strings for there 45 year old son. She keeps an eye on his bank account and seem to be checking up on what I am doing with his money. We have been in this relationship for 7 years and I have lived with him for 2. When...

View more questions Search