Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iciclef Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Disabled and need free glasses
    Help me please! I am an abandoned 100% disabled spouse ,living alone in Martinsville,VA. I have gone to an optomtrist with my Medicare, but the glasses prescribed cost 150.00 that I do not have. I do not have a car and the transportation I get usually costs me at least 20.00 to even get groceries. I need all kinds of help but most of all glasses. I do not trust myself walking to hitch hike to stores anymore because I've stepped in holes, twisted my ankles, it's terrible for me. I hope with the grace of God that someone can help me without me almost killing myself trying to do this alone. REPLY TO
    Icie Farnsworth
    Age 56
    Martinsville, VA24112
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
    OK have you tried to call around looking for numbers in your local yellow pages that sell glasses if you are disabled don't u get medicare then the glasses would be free and the palace you went does not take your medical for them then I would ask them if they have some names and numbers of places that do if they don't try your local yellow pages under glasses and for you to get there call something like dile a ride they usually charge like 5.00 there and back or less if you have medi care and can't afford it it may not be called the same thing in your area but I'm sure there is something you just need to go though the phone book and look for it and also contact your local office where you get disability if you are disabled you should be able to get it and if you already do they would have the info you need with the numbers and such you need hope this helps and good luck
    iciclef Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Unfortunately I live in Martinsville, VA where there is so little assistance for the elderly and disabled or the poor that dial a ride is non existent. Que sera sera! Fortunately I have had a church member pick up the gauntlet to help me through this hurricane and I will prevail with God's merciful help. Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to respond to me. God bless you and yours forever.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 01:54 AM
    Please read the sticky at the top of this section. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 02:18 AM
    The "sticky" is located via clicking on the following link, just in case there's any confusion here.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/vision...am-218963.html
    frankndebois Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Comment on meagank's post
    Medicaid/Medicare does not pay for the glasses although they partially pay for the exam. I am currently looking for an organization that will pay for the lenses and frames. If I find one, I will post it for all to use as I know it is needed much.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 04:18 PM

There is always the Lyon's Club and Walmart's cheapest lens and frame set is $26... They are very affordable.
    frankndebois Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 10:07 AM
    I have found a place called New Eyes for the Needy. They use vouchers to get both exams and eyglasses, but you have to find a case worker, etc. to help you by speaking up for you and filling out the paperwork because of so many people needing them. It is a little hassle. But it is still free for those in real need.
    Also I found a place [http://www.eyebuydirect.com] that you can get your eyeglasses for very cheap compared to getting them in a regular eyeglasses shop... you must have your prescription which, if you are disabled, medicaid should pay all but about $15 of that so that you can possibly afford the exam. Even then, it should be somewhat easier to get someone like a local Christian congregation to help you with both the reduced cost of the exam, as well as the extremely reduced cost of the frames/lenses combo being produced for you. I am disabled, as well, and could not afford to get my glasses at a regular eyeglasses shop. My medicaid paid all but $14 of the exam, but I have to pay for the frames/lenses combo, but this place is a lot cheaper than anything else I could find and they produce all kinds from classic to designer combos plus Rx sunglasses, as well.
    The free/voucher program can be found on the web page at http://www.neweyesfortheneedy.org , and the discounted frames/lenses combo is found at http://www.eyebuydirect.com . I hope this helps anyone that is in need like me or worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free exam and glasses [ 7 Answers ]

Is there anywhere that helps you with free vision exam and free glasses for those who can't afford to pay?

Free Glasses - Free Eye Exam [ 12 Answers ]

Check out the tips and explanations, below, from our Vision Expert. Please do not post replies in this thread. If you have a question, click on the "Ask About Vision" button above.

Free Eye Glasses [ 6 Answers ]

I am in need of free eyeglasses. I have no income and I am awaiting disability. I have to drive my children around and I can hardly see. I went to the Lyons Club and they said they only pay for glasses, but I need to come up with 100.00 for an eye exam. They may as well ask me for 1 million...

Free eye exam and glasses [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any organization that helps out the poor with free eye exams and glasses for those who can't afford to pay?

View more questions Search