Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetlady57 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
    I am being sued can they take my house and car
    I am being sued my house is paid off and in my name I am on disability and have a car can they take theses things
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 08:43 AM

Where do you live. Laws vary. But generally they won't take your house... but will put a lien against it for up to the full amount owed. Meaning they get theirs first if you ever sell it or you pass away and any heir gets get..
    sweetlady57 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    I live in North Carolina
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlady57 View Post
    i am being sued my house is paid off and in my name i am on disability and have a car can they take theses things
    Hello s:

They can take your car, and if you have ANY money in your bank account that didn't come from disability, they'll take that too. In fact, what they'll do is empty your account and leave it to YOU to tell them they shouldn't have.

excon
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 09:13 AM

As ex said... theycan go after most assets... including savings etc... there are very few things that are untouchible... and even those might be as well depending on who you owe. The feds can take tax returns... and can even so after SSI disability checks other debtors can't.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 02:49 PM

North Carolinas exemption statue seems to be here.

The "homestead" exemption is $35,000 in value.
    The automobile exemption is $3,500 in value.

You might want to look at the statute more carefully than I have, but generally they can sell the house and keep anything they get over and above the exemption amount. Same with the car.
    Eddieo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
    Ok I owe About $18,000. On my new truck my house I owe more than its worth on mortgage. Can they take my car that I'm paying on and me still have to pay it off?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
    What State or Country? Yes, in many States the truck can be seized for the equity you have in it. Would a creditor bother? I have no idea. It's possible.

A LIEN would be filed against your house. That means whenever it's sold, they get paid second after the mortgage.

You cannot be sued in Small Claims Court for this amount of money. Are you sure the dollar amount is correct?
    Eddieo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 02:51 AM
    I live in Florida. I owe $18,000. On truck. MY house is free and clear but I am crrently putting a $100,000. Mortgage against it, hoping this will protect the asset. The Truck is worth 30,000. Nothing else is in my name.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2011, 09:46 AM
    Who is going to loan you $100K dollars when you have a collection on your credit record? That will kill secured loan applications even from credit Unions if you have a big account balance with them.

My wife is a loan officer.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You cannot be sued in Small Claims Court for this amount of money. Are you sure the dollar amount is correct?
    I don't think Edieo said the amount they were suing him for. The $18 K is how much he owes for the truck, leaving him $12 K equity. I don't think the automobile exemption in Florida is that high, meaning that when they get a judgment they could levy on and sell, it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting sued from a car wreck [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, This is short of a long and confusing story. Last year around September I was driving home from work. I have been driving since I was 15. I am 18 now. The job I am at I have been working there since August 2008. I work 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. 5 days out of the week. Anyway, like I was saying, I am...

Why I being sued and I have car insurance? [ 6 Answers ]

I had a car insurance,I involve in a car accident 2006 the other person saying I scrath her back pumber and I didn'y touch her car at all,when the officer shows up he wrote what she told him and he said in his report was a light contact between both car cause this scratch after 2 year I receved a...

Bought a car, getting sued [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a debt for 15k w/ Unicredit it used to be Citi which I work for. Citi sold it 3 years ago almost to the date. I bought a new car in Sept. because my old one had 207,000 miles on it. I needed a reliable car cause I work 50 miles away. So yes, new. I owe on a loan for that car 19k and gave...

Being sued for car accident [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was in a car accident over the winter. While making a left hand turn, an woman walking in the intersection slipped on the ice and fell onto the hood of my car. There was a witness to the fact that I did not hit her, and the witness left a statement with the police. My problem is that...

Being sued for car loan [ 6 Answers ]

My credit report stinks due to medical bills and a car I quit paying on 3 years ago. Car quit running, don't know what happened to it. Someone just served my grandmother a Summons for me on this old car debt for 12,000 plus late fees and attornery fees. My grandmother told them she didn't know...

View more questions Search