Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jan 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Peeling skin, dog
    My dog's skin has begun peeling all over his back. Huge pieces are falling off. It is not red, don't seem to be itchy or sensitive. It's just keep's coming off in huge amounts, doesn't really seem to be dry skin. It does seem to start in circular patches, I am so confused. Any ideas?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Off the top of my head, it sounds like it could possibly be ringworm.

Please see the following links:

WSAVA 2001 - Mimicry in Veterinary Dermatology

Ringworm of the Skin - Topic Overview - Skin Conditions on Yahoo! Health

Also, at the beginning of the posting list for Dogs, Labman has listed a number of useful resources for dog owners. I don't know if he covers the topic of skin problems but you might want to check it.

Without anyone here being able to examine your dog, the only way you are going to know for sure is to get your dog the vet immediately. Please do this tomorrow if you can.

Hope this helps.
    Skibunny Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teachnk
    My dog's skin has begun peeling all over his back. Huge pieces are falling off. It is not red, don't seem to be itchy or sensitive. It's just keep's coming off in huge amounts, doesn't really seem to be dry skin. It does seem to start in circular patches, I am so confused. Any ideas??
    You should take your dog to the vet as soon as possible just to be on the safe side. IF you bath your dog a lot it could be build up of shampoo if you have missed some.

Hope He/she gets better :)
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 30, 2007, 05:46 PM
    I would hate to think of you picking up ringworm, but cats can carry it without symptoms. (Note - Ringworm is a fungus not a parasite per se).

Missed shampoo is a possibility, but this sounds like it's well worth a trip to the vet's

-Beth
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Feb 1, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Update... I took the dog to the vet and it turns out it was staph. He has staph hypersensitivity, basically an allergic reaction to the staph bacteria which is on all dogs (and human) skin. It is basically due to a weakened immune system. He is almost 15 years old with cushings disease. So $108 later I have some new shampoo and antibiotics for the next 20 days from my WONDERFUL vet. Thank you for the advice.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Yes, caring for our babies is never cheap. Sorry you had to spend the money but I am glad you took him. That poor boy. 15 years old and cushings, and then to have this happen. Well, at this point in his life he deserves to be comfortable. You are a good parent! :) Thanks for letting us know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to prevent a tan from peeling? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew what I can use to prevent my tan from peeling and my skin getting too dry? Thanks.

Dog has skin problem [ 5 Answers ]

My lab/german shepered has skin irritation. I have tried giving her medicine, soaking her in Cortizone cream. Nothing seems to work. She's shaving herself, causing redness, and to top it off my sister has lice. But the doc. Says lice can't be transferred from dog to human, or human to dog! I don't...

Cracking and peeling paint... Help! [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently doing up a rental property in return for cheap rent with option to buy. The interior paint is cracked and peeling in many places. The paint that peels off is 1.5 mm thick. What is the best way of preparing the walls for painting? How much should we scrape off? I'm worried that if...

Skin around piercing is peeling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I Don't No If You Can Answer My Question But Im Giving It A Try Anyway. Well I Was Jus Wandering I Jus Got My Bell Button Pierced About Maby A Week Ago And Around It ,it Looks Like My Skin Sometimes Is Pilling .is This Normal? And I Was Wondering What Is The Best Stuff To Use To Clean It? ...

Front door peeling [ 1 Answers ]

My front door clear coat is flaking it goes not receive a lot of sun light. The door is fiberglass and is stained. Any ideas how to fix this problem.

View more questions Search