Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacquelynherzig Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
    Paid vacation for full time housekeeper?
    What is the standard for vacation time for full time live out housekeepers?

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 04:53 PM

You are classed as an independent contractor if you are live out and a housekeeper. How you deal with your wage and time is up to you, not the people you work for.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 05:25 PM

A housekeeper may not always be a 1099 employee. If you pay them salary or hourly and if you report their wages, to the government, pay taxes, unemployment taxes and more.

Can you expain how they are paid
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2011, 06:30 PM
    1099 - none, generally. A higher hourly rate. They pay higher taxes.

Wages (W-2) - it depends on how much you are paying and how good they are after a probationary period such as 3 months. If very good, a reasonable offer might be 5 paid holiday, 5 paid sick days, and 5 vacation days the first year, 10 vacation days the second.

Jan 10, 2011, 06:53 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    She has been with us for a year now. We pay her a weekly rate of $72 plus her fica and social security. I was going to give her one week paid vacation in addition to 5 paid holidays off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 06:57 PM

Since she is part time normally there is no paid vacation,
    You did say what was normal..

I would guess she works less than 5 or 6 hours a week ?
    Not sure what you mean by plus her social security and FICA, she pays her part and you pay your part plus other insurnaces.

So you are free to give her what you want.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquelynherzig View Post
    I was going to give her one week paid vacation in addition to 5 paid holidays off.
    Hello j:

You're a great employer.

excon
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
    But.. how can someone paid $72/week be full time?

Jan 11, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    That was a typo she gets $472 plus fica and social security and she works a 8 hour day 5 days a week with lots of breaks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 08:57 AM

You are not required to give even a coffee break or paid lunch let lone a vacation. It is whatever you want to give her
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Jan 20, 2011, 01:30 PM

There is no "standard" but you are definitely a nice employer that you are considering your housekeeper. The happier they are, the happier they make you :)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2011, 03:49 PM

That's a demanding, exhausting job and not very high pay (though I think it's in line with the market). I think you should give her two weeks paid time off, plus paid holidays and some sick time.

That's what she'd get if she worked full time for a service instead of for you.

When someone's in your home full time, interacting with and caring for your family, I think it's really important to be generous. Save on something else...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a nanny & housekeeper what should I be paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked at my position now for 4 months. I was hired as a nanny and housekeeper. During the school year I show up at 6:30am, I am expected to feed the children breakfast, make their lunch, make sure they have brushed their teeth, washed their faces, make their beds etc and out the door to...

What contitues full time to get full time benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

My son works on average over 40 hours a week.He works in a hospital in NJ. He does receive overetime when he works over 40 Hours. However he is considered a part time employee and they will not give him a full time listed position even though most of the time he works 40 hours or more. There fore...

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

Full physical custody and vacation laws in CA [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have full physical custody of both my daughters. My ex-husband is extremely irate with me because he now has a lien against him for unpaid child support. I am taking the summer off work and I'm planning on taking my daughters from California on a trip to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit...

View more questions Search