Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgoodwill Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Drain connection for shower stall?
    I am demoing an old (40 yrs) shower stall with a one piece basin and am not sure how the drain pipe is connect to the basin. I tried prying up on the entire basin with a pry bar, but it seems the piping may have a screwed connection. Any thoughts/schematics you could send to show how this might come apart short of cutting it out?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 11:39 AM

Hi sgoodwill

If that one-piece base is mortar or premolded stone then your best bet will be to break the floor out using a sledgehammer...

Once you get a few cracks going the rest kind of crumbles and then you can separate the drain from the drain assembly using a sawzall or similar tool.

Questions? Let me know...

Mark

Jan 20, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Mark,
    Basin is acrylic/plastic, not a morter base. I'm thinking it is screwed into the bottom of the basin similar to the way a drain body is screwed into a sink basin. And I'll need to use a pair of large channel lock pliers to span the drain body and unscrew it.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 11:53 AM

Ahhh... I see. Here, you are probably best off to take a sawzall and cut an 8 inch hole around the shower drain... then you can easily pull up and remove the base and then you can also reach the drain assembly and disconnect the strainer from the drain pipe... that make sense?

Jan 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
    That was plan B if I couldn't figure out how it was physically connected. Thanks.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 12:10 PM

I don't even mess with guessing anymore... cut it out and be done... ;)

Have a good day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower stall drain leak [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, we had a leak in the tiled shower stall. The sealant between the liner and the drain flange was not Ok and so the water was getting to the subfloor. Now they have put the tile glue without tearing out the whole thing. I am not convinced it is done right. My question, is it possible to correctly...

Shower stall drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have a similar problem, where I have a fiberglass/acrylic shower that seems to have a mystery leak, which I am almost 100% sure is coming from the shower drain. The drain itself is a plastic threaded type which I tried unscrewing but it seems to be permanently welded in there with silicone...

How do you match the drain of shower stall to basement drain when they do not line up [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a new shower stall in my basement.Right now my shower is just open drain with shower curtain.My problem is how to match the new stall with old drain.The stall has precut drain.My old drain is off about 2 feet off.Thanks

Shower stall drain leaking. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a leak in the showerstall attached to the master bedroom. Ours is 2 level home we can see the leak right above the refrigerator in the kitchen. The shower is a one piece shower module and the water doesn't get out of the shower so it's not a problem with the caulk. The leak gets...

Shower stall drain leak [ 8 Answers ]

I have a second floor acrylic shower stall that apparently has a drain leak, based on a wet spot in the ceiling almost directly below the shower drain that has gotten progressively bigger over a few weeks. I've taken the strainer plate off, but am at a loss for what to do next. I'm presuming...

View more questions Search