Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbflg8r Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Track lighting not working
    I have a Hampton Bay 7 light track light kit. Each of the 7 light fixtures on the track have a halogen 20W bulb in them. Recently, the power in my house went off for about 10 minutes. This happened at night, so all of the lights/ switches were off. After the power came back on, I noticed that my track lighting does not turn on. It is the only thing in the house that does not work since the power went out. I have checked all the breakers, and none of them tripped. Is it possible a power surge ruined the track lighting even with the switch off? Is there something in the lighting fixture itself that could have blown? Can just that item be replaced or is the whole track light kit ruined?

P.S. I bought a new bulb just to try it, just in case all the bulbs blew, and it still does not work.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Check for power at the feed of the track to be sure the switch or dimmer
    Controlling the track is fine.

The track feed may be the type that plugs into the track, and this feed end has two small contact points one on each side, that touch or rub up against the two power bars in the track, each light fixture has these two contact points also. It may be possible that one or both of the feed end contact points may have gotten burnt off just a little bit, and causing no power to get to the track power bars.

Jan 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
    I checked the connections and they all look fine. Could the problem actually be in the wall switch?
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
    See the first statement I made?

Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Check for power at the feed of the track to be sure the switch or dimmer controlling the track is fine.

Jan 30, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Well, I checked the power supply. Everything seems to be working up to the light fixture box. In the fixture's box, there are 2 black boxes. There is power in one of them but not in the second box, and obviously no power out to the track. I guess I will see if I can just replace the box and not the whole track system. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Those black boxes may be low voltage transformers. Not sure why there are two, usually only one is needed for the entire track. What is the power coming out of the other one? Maybe the both need to work together, and maybe you can get just the feed or power end for the track.

You may find that Home Depot does not just sell these parts and need to get the entire track kit. Let us know how you make out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old Track Lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I apparently have an old Murray Feiss track lighting system (3 lights w/reflector bulbs). I was hoping to find a compatible track head, but have been told that there are none. The heads in place now are big and bulky and ugly and would like to replace them. Would it just be easier to replace the...

Track Lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to install track lighting on the top of our kitchen cabinets to illuminate the ceiling. It appears this would be an "upside-down" installation. Safety and stability are my prime concerns. Can this be done safely ? Are there specific brands which are more suitable to this...

Track lighting prob. [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a new hampton bay track and also hooked up three new hampton bay hanging track lights. After the install, turned the dimmer on and all of the way up and only the light on the end of the track lights up. The other two filaments are glowing slightly. If I take off one of the...

Track lighting question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In my kitchen, there is an old track lighting fixture that does not function. I'm assuming that this worked at one time, but not while I've lived in the house. I am interested in replacing it with a new fixture. There are electrical connections in the ceiling where the old fixture is but...

Track lighting suddenly not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton bay track lighting unit that has been installed and operating properly for 8 years. It gets it's electric freed from a nead-by ceiling fan. Earlier we switched the juice on and all 5 of the bulbs stopped working at once. The odd thing is the ceiling fan, which is in the same...

View more questions Search