Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celtic250 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 10:58 PM
    Approximate EtG times
    Just curious as to what the average time it takes for EtG to get out of your body is? I have heard many different time lengths and am just curious as to what the consensus is. Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 08:57 AM

EtG tests provide an accurate and reliable indication of alcohol ingestion within the previous 3 to 4 days
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by celtic250 View Post
    Just curious as to what the average time it takes for etg to get out of your body is? I have heard many different time lengths and am just curious as to what the concensus is. Thanks
    There is really no answer to your question. Averaging the various studies isn't possible because of the methods employed in each. Most of the information you read is based on one study, the one most favorable to the author. So the commercial testing field has used the 80 hour test. That time span applies in only the most extreme cases. It is not an average.

EtG production and elimination is highly variable between individuals and even within the same individual from time to time. The window for detection is also dependent on the amount of alcohol consumed. It is dose dependent. EtG created from one drink is eliminated faster than 10 drinks, a small amount faster than a larger amount. This follows the standard elimination curve of ethanol (EtOH) metabolism but at a slower rate. EtG is the waste product of the metabolism and proportional to systemic EtOH.

Here a few studies dealing with detection time using measured doses:

9 drinks (Borucki, 2005) 100% positive at 24 hrs, 77% at 54 hrs, 18% at 78 hr.
    3-5 drinks (Sensitivity of commercial ethyl glucuronide (ETG) testing in screening for alcohol abstinence ? Alcohol Alcohol) none detectable past 48 hr

To provide you with an overall concept of elimination time in a small sample (see P. 597, Figure 5, Rosano & Lin, 2008) This is a time scale graph.

The research data on EtG is very limited. There have been no large scale studies and there is much more to be learned.

A good resource for additional information on EtG and EtS is Dr. Greg Skipper website. He introduced the test to the US and does a reasonably good job of providing current information.
    celtic250 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 11:21 AM

So if you drank 5 out of 7 days the EtG from the first days of drinking burns off as the days pass even if you drink more alcohol? I guess my question is if the 3-4 days means all alcohol will be gone from your system after your BAC goes to 0 on the last day of drinking instead of EtG building up over the days of drinking and not starting to metabolize until you stop drinking on the last day? Been clean 6.5 days so I am assuming I will be free of alcohol regardless.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Been clean 6.5 days so I am assuming I will be free of alcohol regardless.
    Yep, most definitely.

Tick
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 11:40 AM
    so if you drank 5 out of 7 days the etg from the first days of drinking burns off as the days pass even if you drink more alcohol? I guess my question is if the 3-4 days means all alcohol will be gone from your system after your BAC goes to 0 on the last day of drinking instead of etg building up over the days of drinking and not starting to metabolize until you stop drinking on the last day? Been clean 6.5 days so I am assuming I will be free of alcohol regardless.
    It follows the same curve as EtOH metabolism. It is being metabolized as you drink just like the alcohol. EtG is not cumulative in the sense you mention. If you have consumed no alcohol for 6 days you have no residual EtG in your system now.
    drew85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Hey Dr.bill100 quick question I am also on the ETG testing. I had two 8oz 4.6% beers on Sunday at 1430 back to back. I also had a 12oz 5% beer on Monday at 2100 before I went to sleep. I got called in on Tuesday at 1400 to test for my parole am 228 pounds 5'5" tall and I don't know the cut off level for the lab there sending my sample from Pharmatech inc. am stressing horribly right now. Think ill pass?
    mocha54 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2013, 02:10 AM
    [QUOTE=drew85;3474510]Hey Dr.bill100 quick question I am also on the ETG testing. I had two 8oz 4.6% beers on Sunday at 1430 back to back. I also had a 12oz 5% beer on Monday at 2100 before I went to sleep. I got called in on Tuesday at 1400 to test for my parole am 228 pounds 5'5" tall and I don't know the cut off level for the lab there sending my sample from Pharmatech inc. am stressing horribly right now. Think ill pass?[/QU
    You would pass in 24 hours with one drink but I don't know about 17.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2013, 06:49 PM
    This was asked in 2011 - good that you took a guess at it, but the problem has long been solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8 week old boxer urinates and doesn't go at times but other times its OK [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Kstar, you can probably start at this website and network from there if you have to, but at least it is a starting point for you: Firstworldwar.cloudworth.com/national-WWI-museum.php

1997 subaru legacy gt automatic idles high at times and low at times. [ 1 Answers ]

1997 legacy gt will idle high and take off like a rocket and at times idle low and be very sluggish taking off. Any suggestions?

Silver Certificate Approximate Value [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1957 series blue ink Silver Certificate. The serial number has a blue star in front and begins with an 8 which I believe is Saint Louis, Missouri? It was signed by Ivy Priest and Robert Anderson.The serial Number ends with a capital letter A. Beside the serial number is a D180 and the top...

View more questions Search