Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adesarno Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Vomit after taking medication
    I am on day two of the z-pack antibiotics and have been diagnosed with bronchitis.
    About 10 minutes after taking the medication, I had a coughing fit and wound up throwing up.
    I'm a little worried about having thrown up the medication, should I take day 3's pill or would I be able to go to the pharmacy for something a little extra?
    What should I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 08:29 AM

What is z-pack antibiotics ? It is my understanding that antibiotics should not be prescribed for bronchitis because they actually have no beneficial effect and if you are in good health otherwise, then you are better without. So, my guess is you are a smoker. One of the side effects of antibiotics in bronchitis patients is vomitting, and dizziness is also one. What are your other medical issues at this time ? Do you have a heart condition ?

I can't go against what you doctor has prescribed for you and you should not go back to the pharmacist for anything 'extra'. If you are vomitting I would discontinue the medication and contact your doctor again.

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 08:34 AM

Actually the ZPack is also called azithromycin and is commonly prescribed for bronchitis.

Since you vomited after only 10 minutes, it is advisable that you take the next daily dose for maximum effect. You will, though, need to contact your doctor on Monday to see if you need to be seen and have another dose prescribed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a pharmacist ask a patient why they are taking a medication? [ 4 Answers ]

Can a pharmacist ask a patient why they are taking a medication and deny a medication based on that discussion? Or, do they need to talk to the Physician.

Why blood pressure will not go down after taking medication? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking for four days high blood pressure meds, first was clonidine, then lisinopril and my blood pressure stays the same.

Is my medication causing these dreams and should I keep taking it? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I had been taking an over the counter medication to help me sleep because my doctor refuses to give me something even when I don't sleep for days at a time because I cant. Well the kind I used to get I can't find anymore so I got a new kind and I hate taking them but they are the only ones I...

Taking medication on an empty stomach [ 4 Answers ]

I'd like to know how long before and after eating constitutes an "empty stomach."

View more questions Search