Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djm0730 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Do basement receptacles need to be GFCI, 20 Amp, or on a 20 Amp circuit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 12:23 PM

Just need to be GFI protected in unfinished basements, may be 15 or 20 amp. I recommend 20 Amp.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Code requires protection by a GFCI in "unfinished basements". If you have a finished room, it is not needed. In storage areas, shop, utility room, GFCI protection is needed. Unless you are wiring for a specific installation that requires 20 Amp, you do not need 20 AMP wiring or protection. However, 20 AMP isn't a bad idea in a basement since people plug in space heaters and use power tools. Minimal extra cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing 15 amp non-GFCI split to 20 Amp GFCI single (kitchen counters) [ 11 Answers ]

I have an older home and I am redoing the kitchen. The kitchen outlets are currently split ones as per the code of the day. They are presumably using 14 gauge wire. (or maybe it may be 12 since it is the 3 wire loomex) It is not practical to re-run the wire. One of them is quite close to a kitchen...

Can a hood be on the same 20A circuit with already 2 duplex GFCI receptacles [ 3 Answers ]

In my kitchen I have 2 duplex GFCI receptacles above the countertop on one 20A circuit. I cannot pull an extra wire through the existing conduit so would like to hook up the hood and the range (all gas but needs power for the electronics) on that same circuit. Does the NEC 2005 code allow for...

15A receptacles on 12/2 GFCI Circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. ...

20amp circuit breaker, 15 amp receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20amp circuit breaker with 15 amp receptacles and light switches on #12 wire with a load of 1700, is this allowable? If not, and I change to a 15 amp circuit breaker, is the 1440 watt safety load in the code or is it a non-code safety suggestion?

View more questions Search