Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcpjags Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Bathroom sink drain
    How do I remove the bathroom sink drain plug to clean out hair? It is draining slow and needs to be cleaned out.
    malex27 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Lcp, some bathroom sink stoppers are made so that you can unscrew the top of the stopper, giving you access to the drain. This allows you to clean out hair or soap scum that may be built up. Try to unscrew the top of the drain by hand.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to go under the sink. On the drain tailpiece connected to the sink, you'll see a rod coming horizontally out of the back of the drain tailpiece toward the wall. The rod is connected to the tailpiece with a nut which you will need to loosen.

Once the nut is loose, the rod will pull out which allows you to pull up on the drain stopper and remove it. Clean the drain and then re-insert the rod into the tailpiece making sure that the rod inserts back into your drain stopper. Enjoy your unclogged drain!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2007, 08:55 AM
    If the stopper won't pull up then the installer tied it down. To free the stopper, push down on the knob raising the stopper to the drain position. Now go underneith the lavatory and locate a knured nut with a rod sticking out of it. Take a pair of pliers and free the nut just enough for it to turn by hand. STOP! Now hand loosen the nut enough so the nut and rod just begains to clear. STOP!
    Now GENTLY, while you're pulling up on the stopper pull the nut and rod out SLOWLY and STOP when the stopper clears enough to remove. CAREFUL! Don't let it pull all the way out. Now tighten the nut by hand and snug it up with a pair of pliers. You may now just drop the stopper in and it will continue to ride on top of the rod so if you ever have to remove it you can.
    Hope this helps . Tom
    sammer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by malex27 View Post
    Lcp, some bathroom sink stoppers are made so that you can unscrew the top of the stopper, giving you access to the drain. This allows you to clean out hair or soap scum that may be built up. Try to unscrew the top of the drain by hand.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to go under the sink. On the drain tailpiece connected to the sink, you'll see a rod coming horizontally out of the back of the drain tailpiece toward the wall. The rod is connected to the tailpiece with a nut which you will need to loosen.

Once the nut is loose, the rod will pull out which allows you to pull up on the drain stopper and remove it. Clean the drain and then re-insert the rod into the tailpiece making sure that the rod inserts back into your drain stopper. Enjoy your unclogged drain!

AWESOME advice!I just did that... and it worked like a dream!thank you so much!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2009, 06:56 AM
    AWESOME advice!I just did that... and it worked like a dream!
    Which one worked for you? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Clean Out [ 2 Answers ]

How do i go about locating the sewer clean out?

Clean up [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes after downloading something a"clean up" button appears. What is this & should I select it? Thks, noboat

Dishes won't get clean! [ 3 Answers ]

We have a brand new stainless steel dishwasher and when we run it we set it to the maximum wash, plus we use Jet Dry, but our dishes (especially our glasses) just will not get clean! They always have spots and sometimes even have food or other residue. Sometimes they even look more dirty than...

Finding clean out [ 2 Answers ]

I am a first time home buyer and need to locate my clean out. I am on a sewer system. What do I need to look for and how far from the house would it be?

How to Clean Vents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into a 45 year old home last summer. It has gas heat and central A/C. I doubt the vents have ever been cleaned. Is there a method to cleaning vents that can be done by the homeowner or does it need to be cleaned by a professional?

View more questions Search