Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blitster19 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 12:47 PM
    US citizen, living abroad for 10 years, have never filed taxes... help...
    I am a US citizen married for ten years to a British citizen. Of the past 11 years, 9.5 I have lived and worked some of the time in UK for UK companies paying UK taxes. For the past 18 months I haven't worked and am living in Qatar with British husband who is working for a local Qatari company. We have 2 children (who are British Citizens) I never filed taxes once I moved abroad (was young and clueless). Have only been recently made aware (through Americans I know here in Qatar) that I might need to. My annual income during those 11 years never exceeded $56,000 USD. I am not sure what to do now, do I need to file for the past 11 years? My husband and I have never lived in the US. Many Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
    Yes, you DO need to file at least the last four years (2007 through 2010) worth of tax returns.

You MAY need to file all ten years.

Note that, due to the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you will owe no taxes to the United States, so there should be NO late filing/late payment penalties.

In short, your filing will basically be a paperwork drill.

A phone call to the International Tax Hotline (215-516-2000; open from 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. EST during normal work days) should give you some idea which years to file.

If you need professional help, email me at [email protected]. I handle a case like yours at least once every year for the past 8 years.
    blitster19 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 09:20 PM
    Thanks for all of that information. I now need to go through all my paperwork to find the UK forms which detail my exact income and tax paid for each year... I must say I really prefer the UK system for tax. You are taxed as PAYE (Pay as you earn) and only if you have additional income sources (investments etc... ) or own a company, self-employed do you need to do a self assessment or get the experts to handle your tax matters for you...

One other question, how should I file, single, married etc.. As my husband is not an American Citizen I would have thought as a single...
    LENNOX1218 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Sorry People I do not have a panacea for what the children in the houses of parliament are doing with our country in the Uk.. I do know that if you are an 'Old Brit' and have tried to live abroad quietly after paying, as we all did. Thro the nose for just being there... No chance! Absolutely No chance... You ain't got a hope luvvy! Take care fellow nearly setentarians.. Get in touch for the revolution>>> Luv Baz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen living abroad- W4 [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to fill out a W4 form for a 3-week summer job, but am having some complications. I am a US citizen from Pennsylvania, but I have lived in Spain since June 2008. I am married to a Spaniard who also lives and works in Spain. Should I file as married or single or married filing...

US citizen living abroad since age 13 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a US citizen and I have been living abroad (Japan, Philippines and now France) since high school. I am married and now reside in France (since 1984). I have never worked before until I started doing part-time home child care at home in November 1999. I file what little taxes I might need...

You.S. Citizen living abroad [ 2 Answers ]

I am a U.S. Citizen and have been living abroad for the last year (approx. 350 days) I own a significant portion of a company incorporated in China and work for this company. Thus, I am already paying taxes to China. Does this mean that I am exempt from paying U.S. federal/state tax (I have no...

US citizen living/working abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I'm helping my sibling file her return. For 2006, she worked for a non-US company while living outside of the US. Her old job, a US-based company, issued a 1099-R for a distribution of about $1,200 in 2006. It's from a profit-sharing plan/pension paid out when she left the company in 2005. ...

US Citizen filing taxes and my wife lives abroad [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. citizen and my wife resides in Saudi Arabia. I'm in the process of bringing her here. I'm filing my taxes right now and I want to file as "married/filing joint". Since she doesn't have an SSN, is the ITIN the only thing I need to apply for? Also, where can she notarize the copy...

View more questions Search