Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rozwitte Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Lubricate Sliding Glass Door
    Our sliding glass door to the backyard has become more difficult to open and I'm wondering what can be done, if some type of lubricant is supposed to be used or does it need some repair to the metal track or the door itself. Any suggestions/resources are appreciated.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jul 29, 2006, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rozwitte
    Our sliding glass door to the backyard has become more difficult to open and I'm wondering what can be done, if some type of lubricant is supposed to be used or does it need some repair to the metal track or the door itself. Any suggestions/resources are appreciated.
    did you check to make sure it haven't jump out of the track or 1 of the wheels isn't missing
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 30, 2006, 07:59 AM
    First check the condition and alignment of the rollers as the previous posts have suggested. If all is in order, try this, even if it seems goofy. PAM cooking spray on the rollers/track. Prior to this, blow/vacuum any crud from the rollers/track, and maybe use some WD-40 to loosen crusted crud. I realize that the PAM may attract and hold dirt, but regular cleaning and lubrication might work. My patio door that required much effort to move, now slides with one finger. Try it, you have nothing to lose.
    miffedone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 01:03 PM
    You shouldn't use anything liquid or greasy (like oil or grease) because they attract and hold dirt and crud which builds up and defeats the purpose. (Also you don't want to be stepping on a greasy track.) Instead use a silicon spray, paraffin block (or candle!) or graphite lubricant (often used in door locks; look for it in the 'keys' department at home stores.) Obviously clean the track as best you can first. You may find significant friction coming from the sides - where the door scrapes along the trim work that keeps out the rain. Lubricate that as well if just working the track doesn't improve things enough.
    Remus48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 02:24 PM
    The first rule is NEVER use WD40 (which is intended primarily to displace liquid contaminants in electrical components) as it is a displacing agent and NOT a lubricant. If you have ever had the misfortune of applying it to the inside of a home or car door lock you will know just how quickly the lock develops terminal cancer.
    I applied light machine oil to the door tracks, which aids in flushing away solid contaminants by reducing stiction, followed some weeks later by an application of a bead silicone grease and the once noisy doors are now noticeably quieter and easier to move. Both these products are on the shelf at your local hardware store.
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Dec 25, 2010, 06:38 AM
    Had trouble with mine years ago and thought I'd have to do some major work like removing the door and replacing the rollers. However, I found that wasn't necessary... fortunately! I vacuumed out the track and used silicone spray on the rollers. I attached the wand to the silicone spray can so I could spray the roller shaft (bearing area)in addition to the track itself. Now I keep the track clean and spray the rollers every two years or so. Only takes a couple minutes. Door rolls like new!
    Sliderdoorman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
    You can always go to "Slide-Ezzz" Sliding Door Repair Products. They have universal sliding glass door repair products that fix most every sliding door. They're web site is www.slide-ezzz.com. Be sure to check out the "Testimonials" page...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glass shower door installation problem [ 7 Answers ]

My contractor put in an entire new shower for me, including the walls, fixtures, tile, etc. There is a glass shower door between two tiled half walls (and then glass going from the half walls on up). The glass is frameless except for where the glass meets the tops of the half walls. When the...

Glass shower door slips [ 3 Answers ]

We have a frameless glass enclosure for our shower. It is constructed with 2 side panels fixed with silicone caulk on top, bottom and side and a door that has hinges inserted into u-shaped cutouts. There are inserts that sit between the hinge and the glass that are a clear flexible plastic-like...

Removing sliding door from fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are in the process of having a new home built and there is a Lasco (fiberglass) walk in shower in the bathroom. We had told the builder that we did not want a sliding door on the shower but wanted a door that swings open (without a header on top since my husband is 6'3 and no tracks...

Re-route vent below window to install sliding glass door [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a sliding glass door off the back of my house. It would be best to put it where I currently have a window. Only one problem, there is a vent centered directly below the window. Correct me if I am wrong, I have two options 1.) Move the vent off to the side of the sliding...

View more questions Search