Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rphotob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Child support/ signing over all rights
    My brother has a three year old daughter that he is not aloud to see. Or let me rephrase that, the mother of the child does not allow him to see her. They have been to court numerous times about child support and visitation. Well now time has passed niether one of them is obeying the law. He doesn't pay child support because she will not allow him to see her, and she just doesn't want him to be part of her life. Well I spoke to him briefly today about relinquishing his rights, then he wouldn't be responsible for child support. But he said that he still would be. I don't understand that, would he be responsible for child support if he signed over all rights to her?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Absolutely. Signing over your rights is just that... signing away any right to make decisions in your child's life.

It does NOT mean you can get rid of your responsibilities.

He can either continue to fight to be a part of his child's life or he can give up... but either way, he's going to be paying child support.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rphotob
    I don't understand that, would he be responsible for child support if he signed over all rights to her?
    Hello r:

Yup - he understands the law. Even though both parents are using the others non-compliance as a reason not to comply themselves, the courts don't tie them together at all - and they shouldn't.

Here's why. Parenting your children is a choice. Supporting your children is an obligation. If one parent decides that they don't want to be part of the child's life, that's one thing. However, that action, has noting to do with a parents OBLIGTION to support his/her child.

If he gives up his rights, he gains nothing and gives up everything. That's not a good deal in anybody's book.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
    There are umpteen threads in this forum discussing this issue. For future reference, it pays to browse around a bit before posting. Often you will find the answer because someone had a similar problem.

As pointed out, a person's parental rights involve visits, contact, decisions about child rearing, etc. Right can be given up. But a parent has obligations to provide support for a child. Those obligations cannot be relinquished.
    mastone Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I'd say he should go back to court and have to judge force her to allow him to see his child - file charges against her for contempt of court or whatever.
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 07:38 PM
    I agree with mastone.
    dadtobe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rphotob
    My brother has a three year old daughter that he is not aloud to see. Or let me rephrase that, the mother of the child does not allow him to see her. They have been to court numerous times about child support and visitation. Well now time has passed niether one of them is obeying the law. He doesn't pay child support because she will not allow him to see her, and she just doesn't want him to be part of her life. Well I spoke to him briefly today about relinquishing his rights, then he wouldn't be responsible for child support. But he said that he still would be. I don't understand that, would he be responsible for child support if he signed over all rights to her?
    The problem is that child support and child custody are two completely separate issues... If a father doesn't pay child support he still has the right to see his child... If the mother does not allow the father to see the child he still has to pay child support... They are treated as two separate and distinct issues... Of course I believe that is part of the problem... I don't see a problem with forcing somebody to pay a reasonable amount of child support and if they don't want to see the baby then fine they still have responsibilities... the problem is when you do want to see your child and the mother absolutely refuses or decides to make your life a living hell in order to see your child... I don't see anything wrong with allowing a father to temporarily stop paying child support until the mother complies with her responsibilities... at the very least they should do the same thing they do to fathers... if you refuse to allow the father to see their child stick them in jail for contempt of court just like they put fathers in jail for not paying child support... hey she would have the keys to her jail cell... all she has to do is follow the law

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a child from this girl, she has put him on child support But now he's considering signing over his paternal rights. He has recently stopped working and can no longer pay child support. If he signs over his rights will he still be obligated to pay for child support or any back...

Parental Rights and Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

My ex hasn't made any attempt to show me that he cares about our 2 month old daughter and now he said that he would sign over his rights. I just turned in the child support order so should I tell the courts that I don't want child support now if I don't want him in her life and he doesn't want to...

Signing over rights before the child is born [ 5 Answers ]

I need some advise, I am pregnant and am not with the father of the unborn child. He has agreed to sign over rights, is there any way to do so before the child is born or can this only be done at the time of birth. I don't want this guy to change his mind at the last minute because he is not fit...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Relinquished Parental Rights/child support? [ 1 Answers ]

We adopted my 10-day old niece on 12/17/04. We adopted her through the state as the mother's parental rights were terminated. We received the child when she was only 10 days old. My brother is the alleged father and no testing was involved. He was served and signed papers when the child was...

View more questions Search