Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icandoitmyself2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
    How can I add more electricity to my house when the breaker box is full?
    I need more electricity in my garage. The breaker box is full, How can I add more?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2010, 10:50 AM

You could add a sub panel. More info will get a better answer, like what your trying to do, what kind of service do you have, distance to garage. Good luck

Dec 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Comment on parttime's post
    I want to run more power to my unattached garage, and plan to add a swimming pool this spring, The garage is 45 ft from the house, The pool would be 100ft away but closer to the garage.Also would this require another meter?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 11:20 AM

Add more power? Is there power out there now? If so you cannot have two feeds or more than one circuit to a detached structure.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 24, 2010, 12:53 PM
    You haven't even answered the question yet about how much power you do have.
    What is electric in the garage?
    Since the building inspector has to be involved in something like a swimming pool anyway, why not have him look at your panel.
    I see no reason why you need another meter.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 01:22 PM

Okay bare with a moment or two.

To begin with, you need to get a calculated load study completed by a licensed electrician.

1) Just because the main panelboard is full does not mean that you are maxing out your electrical service, particularly if you are at 200 Amp service.

2) You would begin this conversation with your local power company to see if they are equipped to provide the service you need.

3) You will have to supply detailed plans to your local Authority Having Jurisdiction in order to pull permits. In our area, only licensed contractors and electricians can pull permits for jobs except in the case of the actual homeowner.

In the case of the pool, permits will also have to be issued for that work.

With respect to the garage, you cannot run additional "Service" to the garage. However, if the cable from the main service is of sufficient size, you can increase the size of the sub panelboard or add sub panel to the existing configuration in the garage.

None of this work is run of the mill DYI work for an person unskilled in electrical work.

The grounding and bonding for the pool area alone is critically important.

But I would start would with the "Calculated Load Study" first.

Dec 25, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    Thanks, I was just looking for a starting point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add a second floor to our house with a full basement? [ 11 Answers ]

I am wanting to add a second floor on my house, for my expanding family of 7 and going to be 8. Our house now has a full basement with one bedroom and one bathroom. The main level has 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. We want to make the kitchen and living room bigger also. Wandering what are we...

Upgrading from a fuse box to a circuit breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

How do I upgrade my fuse box in my home

Installing a circuit breaker in an existing box; alternative forms of electricity [ 18 Answers ]

Hello: I have a Sears Craftsman 6hp 150 psi 33 gallon compressor. Electrical measurements are 120v/15amps - basically meaning it could run on normal household current. However, when I start it up, after about 3 seconds, it shuts off. I tried using the dedicated outlets in my apartment,...

Ok to add a cable to move breaker box? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm faced with moving a breaker panel about 6-10 ft. Reason is that previous owners removed much of a termite eaten load bearing beam and posts and the house has started to sag. This looks to have happened 80-100 years ago. Then it was covered over and the breaker panel was installed to one of the...

View more questions Search