Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hinson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
    How do I fill my well holding tank with air?
    I have low water pressure and have been told I need to bleed my holding tank, how do I do this?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Probably, you don't. Assuming you are referring to a pressure tank and not a holding tank, let's address a few questions first.

1. Does your tank have an air valve at the top?
    2. At what pressures does your pump cut on and cut off? You can check your pressure valve while you have a faucet running to find this out. You will likely be able to hear a "click" as the switch turns the pump on and off.
    3. Turn on an outside faucet and see how long the water runs before the pump has to cut on to build pressure back up. Time it in seconds. Hopefully, it will be at least a minute.

Get back with your answers.
    Hinson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Yes it has air valve. Comes on at 24psi and cuts off at 39psi
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 04:53 PM
    You have what is called a bladder tank. It has a membrane in it that separates the water (bottom) from the air (above the membrane). There are only two things to check on such a tank.

1. Depress the air valve for two or three seconds. If water comes out, then the membrane is ruptured and the tank needs to be replaced. You can also gently tap up the side with a hammer. When the tone changes, you have found the level of the water. It should be around halfway up.

2. If the membrane is good, then the pressure at the air valve on top should be 2# below the cut in pressure, which for you would be 22#. To set this, you do need to turn off the system and drain off the pressure at an outside faucet. Set the pressure to 22#, then turn the system back on at the breaker.

The deal is this. This is not going to affect the pressure in your home. It is going to be between 24 and 39 because that is where your switch is set. If you want to raise the pressure, it is not difficult. This site gives very good directions:

How to adjust water pump pressure, pump cut-on pressure and pump cut-off pressure - private pump and well system do-it-yourself repairs

Many people find 30/50 to be a satisfactory setting. Best wishes.
    julliesmay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 01:47 PM
    I just turned my water on to see how long it ran before the pump turned on. I also checked the pressure in the holding tank, it was 34lbs. It took the pump 4 minutes to turn on after the water was turned on. Is this OK or is something wrong?
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2010, 06:32 AM

Probably. Depending on the tank size, you want to at least get five gallons of water out between the pump turning off and then turning back on. At 4 minutes, I feel very sure you got at least that much.

As to the pressure in the tank, it should be set in this manner:
    1. Watch your pressure gauge as water is being used and note the pressure when the pump turns on.
    2. Turn off the power to the well and open a ground level faucet until all the pressure is off the system (gauge at or very near zero).
    3. Set the pressure in the tank to 2 pounds below the pressure you observed in step one. So, for example, if your pump cut back on at 30#, then you would set the tank pressure to 28#. Do this at the air valve at the top of the tank.

Hope you find that helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New well pump vs. New holding tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. This is our first house with a well & septic system. The well pump(submerged) is approximately 18 years old and has never been replaced to my knowledge. We are now experiencing very low interior house pressure when outside spigot is in use or when washing clothes, showering, etc....

How much water should be in the holding tank of a well? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the oldest house in the world - 1861. From what I can tell the plumping was put into the house in the 1950s but I assume the well has been there since forever. Anyhow - we have had a lot of issues over the past 20 years that we lived there. We had a plumber out that pulled the pipes...

Sewage pump clogs in holding tank [ 1 Answers ]

We have two new SK60 submersible sewage ejector pumps in our holding tank at a 28 room motel and they keep clogging up with things like plastic bags, string etc. . What can I do to prevent this?

Well pump takes 5 minutes to fill bladder holding tank [ 12 Answers ]

Last year we installed a new bladder holding tank. Pressure set at about 27 lb since pump turns on at 30LB. After installation pump was running a long time to fill pressure tank. If drawing water from multiple sources at one time once pressure dropped and pump went on it could not supply enough...

Septic holding tank manhole adjustment [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I had my house built last year and the septic system is a sand mound system with 3 holding tanks between my house and the sand mound. The holding tanks are concrete and each have an access (manhole) that sticks about 1' out of the ground. I have read on other sites about access being...

View more questions Search