Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rv223509 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
    I bought a short sale property with a tenant?
    The tenant was suppose to be out by the close of sale. They were given multiple notices by their landlord and did not move. I took possession of the property and want them out. Can I just proceed with a 3 day notice to pay or quit? I want to proceed with a unlawful detainer but not sure what can be done.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2010, 01:01 PM

Find out the terms of any pre-existing lease... if they are month to month, then you can serve them notice (make sure its properly served) their month to month is not being renewed and that they have to leave. That is 30 days in most states. If they aren't out by then file for eviction.

If they have a lease that is not yet expired then its not as simple and you either have to honor the remainder of the lease or offer them financial incentives to leave earlier.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 02:24 PM

You should not have closed with them there, you are now a new owner and have to start from scratch.

1. if they have a lease you are now obligated to honor it

2. if on a month to month rental, you can accept this months payment but give then notice that they are to move. If they have a written rental contract you will also have to honor it, on the terms of giving notice.

If they do not pay you this months rent, then you can give them a pay or quit notice. But they have to be given a chance to pay you.

Also the trouble with pay or quit, if they pay you, then you will have to start from the beginning on a normal eviction anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant -- short sale of property [ 7 Answers ]

We have been tenants for a year and half and found out that the property is in foreclosure and the landlord has negotiated with the bank for a short sale. We have a 2 year lease. Does our lease stand with the new buyers? Or do we have to vacate? If so, is the California law a 30 or a 60 day...

We're buying a house in a short sale. Is it possible to evict the tenant. [ 1 Answers ]

We plan on living in the house as our primary residence.

Tenant rights during short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I live in a condo in Miami, FL. I have a one year lease with 8mths outstanding. The bank would not renew my landlord's mortgage and are threatening foreclosure. He's opting for a short sale and has told me that I can break my lease with 2mths notice or stay and ride out the short sale process....

Tenant residing in AZ with New owners from a Short Sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in a Condo in AZ for 2 yrs and our lease ended at the same time the New owners took over on a short sale. We were negotiating our Terms in order to stay, but we don't agree on them. Do we have 30 days to move without being in any agreement with the new owners?

Short sale & tenant laws [ 2 Answers ]

Does a non-paying tenant have any rights when the owner is doing a short sale? What rights does a tenent have while owner is doing a short sale? If you are a owner and you are doing a short sale, can they still forclose on you?

View more questions Search